The annual Jonaskop ride (Warning: pedal related!!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacquesM

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
You do something wrong (I wish I knew what it was), and you get invited to do the annual Jonaskop hill climb, which this year took place on 10 Dec.

Jonaskop is between Worcester and Villiersdorp. The road is tarred, and leads to a signal tower. The ride starts at an altitude of 400m, and climbs to 1550m, in 15km.

It works on a handicap basis, where they let the slow guys leave first, with the idea of getting everybody at the top simultaneously.

The rear cassette on my bike is an 11-36. The night before the ride I changed the cassette to an 11-40. This proved to be the second best thing I could have done. I stood with an 11-42 in my hand - I should have rather fitted that. I'm still running the old fashioned 24/32/42 tripple in front.

There were about 20 riders participating. Many of them doing their umpteenth ride. They let us sl(ou) toppies off first. I have never in my life done so much climbing on a bicycle in such a short distance. The speed I mostly saw on the computer was 5 or 6 km/h. Me and a friend rode together and reached the tower after 1h51min, at an average speed of 8.7km/h.

Apparently one should "go back next year" to try and improve your time. Me, I'll give it some thought.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.6 KB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.8 KB
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    114.9 KB
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    47.1 KB
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    122.2 KB
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.3 KB
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    122.7 KB
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    73.8 KB
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    122.5 KB
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    134.5 KB
Eendstop said:
Margeret      :bueller:

Not really.

The forum has a few cyclists. Over the years I've posted a couple of cycling "ride reports", and none of them was really received as misplaced.

I can ask the organiser to invite you for next year's ride. It's hard work (for me), but great fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Attachments

• Jonaskop.jpg
    Jonaskop.jpg
    180.8 KB
Bet the 1150 will be quicker than your time.  Since the inception of the internal combustion engine,  I've never turned back to pedal power :deal:

Just yanking hour chain :lol8:

briv said:
Jip dit lyk na n lekker klim..... lyk my Wessel Wentzel sit ook daar  :ricky: lyk koud ook  :)

Hi b

Ek ken nie veel van die manne nie.

Gerhard, wat saam met ons begin het, het gepraat van Wessel. Vir my geklink of dit sy seun kan wees. Hy't gesê die fietsry is vir hom lekker as Wessel saamry. Gerhard trap geweldig sterk. Swaarder ratte, egalige asemhaling, (byna soos eendstop se 1150). Indrukwekkend. My tong was lankal teen die teer, toe sê hy iets van "nou raak dit tyd vir makliker ratte". Dis hy op dié foto.

Jy's reg, dis maar koud daar bo. Dis so hoog soos Johannesburg.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    166.8 KB