The curse of Sani Pass - a quick ride report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Sixteen months ago I planned a route through Baviaanspoort over Naudes Nek and then up Sani pass. As luck would have it soon after Baviaanspoort the heavens opened and I rode for two days in continuous rain. Naude's Nek was totally misted over and by the time I got to Sani the rain was poring at the bottom and snowing at the top. Riding solo I decided to give it a miss for another day.
So a new route was planned - JHB to Golden Gate to Himeville to Katse dam and back to JHB

Three of us left on Thursday afternoon to Golden Gate

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    63.6 KB
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    57.2 KB
From Golden Gate we headed past Woodstock Dam and got onto a fantastic road through the valley's of the Drakensberg to the road that meets up with the road going up to Cathedral Peak. One km from the end we came accoss a bridge that had been washed away so we had to back track.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    52.6 KB
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    63.3 KB
Approaching Himeville the mother of storms arrived. Sani Pass had a wash away and was closed. Once again Sani Pass would allude me. A new route was planned to go around past Underberg up Naudes Nek to Rhodes and back to JHB

Attachments

• IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    36.2 KB
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    78.9 KB
  • IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    102.5 KB
Naude's Nek was spectacular although once again a storm hit us.
We all got back to JHB tired but eager to plan out next trip - to Sani! Hopefully a third attempt will be successfull

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    34.5 KB
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    64.1 KB
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    55.4 KB
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    61.6 KB
The weather has not been kind to you, but it looks like you still had a good ride!  Nice pics. Thanks.

Wow I agree - maybe third time lucky.
But thanks for a nice report and some great pictures.

Sheesh not again  :( - oh well there will be another time I'm sure. I spent 3 days in the Rhodes area in December and wow...God's country isn't it? Lekker ride, glad you're back safe.

Thumbs up for trying!  And crossing my fingers for you to eventually get to do Sani :)

awh, that's lovely sandy muddy roads that!
don't we have anything like that here in the cape?

nice pics! :thumleft:

Marnus said:
Thumbs up for trying!  And crossing my fingers for you to eventually get to do Sani :)
before it gets tarred :imaposer:
No laughing matter tough as it will be a day of great sorrow in the DS world once that road is no more.

Looks like you had some fun tough, all that really matters isn't it. :mwink:

Pity about Sani.

Lekker trip and RR. Rhodes area is great.