The house-at-the-top-of-the-hill quickie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
The Capies who regularly do the Gordon's Bay -> Rooi Els route might recognize this...

There's an unfinished house high up on the Rooi Els hill, overlooking False Bay. Just as you have crested Rooi Els hill, there's a small gravel turnoff to the right that leads up to this "house". I've always driven past it and meant to go up there one day: well, today I did :).

The way up is a very bumpy, rocky ride, leading to a sort of lookout. Someone's got some beehives going there. The road then goes down the other side to the house - well, it's more like ruins. Looks like it was never finished, and is now a proper shambles.

Nice view, though.

Back home in Bettys I sought out some water: the nice thing about living in a place like this is that, in winter, the whole town turns into a fun park! And if it rains like yesterday, there's plenty of opportunity to practice your mud slides and water crossings :ricky:

(Sorry about the phone picture quality)

Attachments

• Hives + Rooi Els.jpg
    Hives + Rooi Els.jpg
    92.5 KB
  • House Ruins - Rooi Els.jpg
    House Ruins - Rooi Els.jpg
    77.7 KB
  • Dakar + House Ruins.jpg
    Dakar + House Ruins.jpg
    143 KB
  • Water Crossing - Bettys Bay.jpg
    Water Crossing - Bettys Bay.jpg
    76.4 KB
Now I have to go back... rode that road a few times last year running in the KLR... plus it was my water baptism road as well... tested my rainsuit and wet weather skills and I am glad to say it was still fun!

That second last photo with your Dak behind the stairs is a very cool photo.

Damn it must be lekker living in B-Bay...

Very nice view

Do you know who owns that land?

Eisbein said:
GEE-SH said:
Do you know who owns that land?
By the looks of the place probably the bank...

Hehehe, too true!  :D

I'm gonna make some enquiries. Also, want to find out who those beehives belong to - I'm sure that honey tastes pretty good  ;)

Two of my sisters have houses in Rooi Els.  I think things would be much improved if that ruin was levelled to the ground thus removing a blot on the hillside.
The character of Rooi Els was ruined when Eskom electricity was brought in.

tok-tokkie said:
I think things would be much improved if that ruin was levelled to the ground thus removing a blot on the hillside.

+1.

Hey, maybe we should organize a Cape WD bash up there: bring jou eie 10 pond hamer! Actually, that would be quite funny - what do you think the cops would say if a convoy of bikers passed them, each with a sledgehammer strapped to the back!
:Whaxatk:

wow very nice pics  :thumleft: - makes one feel like getting out there  :ricky:

Cool spot great views.The old Hangklip was my old stomping grounds,used to dive out plenty kreef and perlees aahhh the good ol days :biggrin:

growweblaar said:
tok-tokkie said:
I think things would be much improved if that ruin was levelled to the ground thus removing a blot on the hillside.

+1.

Hey, maybe we should organize a Cape WD bash up there: bring jou eie 10 pond hamer! Actually, that would be quite funny - what do you think the cops would say if a convoy of bikers passed them, each with a sledgehammer strapped to the back!

I can see it - "Nee oom, ons gaan demolition derby toe. Wil oom saamkom?" ;D

BigEd said:
growweblaar said:

I can see it - "Nee oom, ons gaan demolition derby toe. Wil oom saamkom?" ;D

:ricky: :ricky: