The Italian Stallion and my take on it (Beta 498 RR)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
I thought I'd share some experience and notes on this little Italian gem.

Acquired end Nov 2022 - https://wilddog.net.za/threads/2014-beta-498-sold.265861/

The bike arrived with 2 spare air filters, a roadworthy tailpiece, and a Yoshi pipe that was originally for a YZ/WR 450 + adaptor pipe, and some other bits & pieces.
On arrival, the bike had 69 hours on the clock.

The first ride was a short dash..... Overwhelmed is understated, amazing, amazing, amazing.

So next was some basic TLC

Although I was informed the bike had a full 60hr service by Russel Campbell's shop I changed the gearbox and machine oil as the bike has stood for the past 2 years (i think) according to the previous owner. Cleaned and oiled air filters. One front fork was leaking oil by the seal so I stripped and cleaned the forks and filled them with new oil.

From here I did a few short dirt rides outside Worcester. The suspension was good but not great, I'm a bit north of the 100kg mark, and the steering also was a bit iffy at low speed. The rear tire was also done so I replaced it with a Michellen Tracker, which is supposed to be a good dual sport for dirt bikes.

Early Jan the left side panel plastic must have gotten loose on a ride through the Bainskloof pass. Replaced it with a Polisport, need a new sticker kit as well.

Took the bike to Mike Fuchs / Superfoxi where the springs got upgraded for my weight, the neck bearing replaced, and the front brake pads replaced. We discovered that the lock nut for the rear spring preload was fused (stuck). Getting a replacement in SA is close to impossible so I will have to take it to an engineering shop to have it cut off, a copy made, and refitted.

After the Superfoxi trip, the suspension was spot on for me, I joined a mountain ride by Grabouw and I was just stunned at how great it handles from rocky terrain to thick sand. The bike is much lighter and easier to handle than my KTM 640 ADV.

February I replaced the Michellin Tracker that's lost 6 rows of adjacent knobblies, in less than 500km, with a Motoz Desert HT, as I've had a great experience with those on the KTM, and at the same time fitted a new Pirelli MT21 to the front.
The machine has done 30hrs (100 in total) since I last changed oils so I serviced it again, except for the spark plug. The bike came without its toolkit and I cannot find a suitable 14mm narrow/thin swivel plug spanner.

Done a weekend trip with a couple of other adv riders to Baardskeerdersbos. Again, amazing bike, any offroad terrain is a pleasure.

Going to try my best to get the bike licensed so I can do longer trips.

So here are my pro's and con's so far:

Pros
  • Highly underrated bike, up there with the Austrian bikes
  • Fantastic linear power from down low to the top end.
  • Amazing suspension
  • 30hr service intervals (eat your heart out KTM)
  • Everything is easy to access, adjust, and service, except for the spark plug.
  • Despite my weight, I've accidentally had 2 power wheelies... 💪
Cons
  • Parts and accessories have to be imported 💲💲💲
  • 8L fuel tank = 100 - 120km range. For now, I have to carry extra 6L fuel bladders.
  • Seat. Not kidding, a brick is softer and more comfortable
  • The Austrian alternatives have marginally better suspension and more farkles available locally( but require more frequent maintenance)
  • Headlight.... just not great for night riding (but this is common for most dirt bikes)
  • Having to get off.... not kidding, it's not that it is physically difficult but the heart and soul rip apart when you have to finish the ride. You really just want more time on it.
I've also picked up in a lot of the .com forums that these bikes are highly rated and appreciated abroad, one of the biggest factors being that you can bash them like a beast and they just keep going. The one big engineering drawback is that internally the engine uses plastic oil gears, these usually need replacement around 160-200hrs but there are steel replacements available from Boano Racing in Italy.

Other than the cons listed, for me personally and for the price I paid, I sincerely doubt I could have made a better choice. This bike fitted my wallet and my needs at the time of getting it. I'd definitely recommend it if you can find another low-hour well maintained one. If we had importers again for their dirt bikes I'd defs get a new Beta for adventure purposes.