The Linex Lesotho Yamaha Trail - May 1982

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomTom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Yip, 1982, when we were riding in rugby jerseys, full face helmets, often army boots and often jeans!  I have an old Bike SA article, written by the organizer and at the time, the wheelie king, Laurence Potgieter.  Some pics as well.  Will post it shortly.  Just wondering if any of the current Wilddogs were on this adventure, now 31 years ago?

We had hair back then! O0; Leshoto was still a bit of a wild place :laughing4:, I was farming in the Free State for my uncle near frankfort.  Bought myself a second bike; Yamaha 465 IT, paid about R 2100, brand new!

Laurence Potgieter was the organizer of the Thumper Club and I did a few rides with them.  I kept contact with some of the riders through the years and after 31 years, my friend Geoff that I met on the trip, is my short term insurance broker.  Enough of the background; article and pics to follow soon! :lamer:

Looking forward to the RR and pics.
Please also tell us the route you guys took.

Bike SA Article;

continued into;

The second day was a very tough day.  Soon after Oxbow, we hit the snow.  It was great fun, for a while; very low temperatures, below freezing.  Not far from Oxbow near an old diamond mine, I left the snow onto a nice looking stretch of gravel.  On a nice long swooping bend, just hanging on the cable when I relealised it was gravel, BUT with a layer of ice on top.  I came down hard on my hip, sliding a long way.  

Through the afternoon, out side of the snow, it became a long slog.  It felt colder as we went along.  It was tough riding and we reached the unplanned stop at Taba Teska after dark.  It was fun and games in the dark, with pispoor lights, that is only working well when you ref up.  a Number of bikes had no lights, but we made it.  I can still remember, white bread, peanut butter, sardines never tasted better!  

The last day was a lot easier, a long way, all running low on petrol and I was still very stiff from crashing out on the ice!

We did a number of these trips with the Thumper Club and Laurence Potgieter, wheelie king!

photo's to follow soon, just need to scan them.

The route;

Oxbow Lodge, way back in 1982.

I have a few smaller pictures, will scan and post.

Seeing those IT's sommer gets me nostalgic. I had a 175 as a teenager, what a bike!

memories have been brought back    my IT 465 was for me  great pic most of our Toppie group have never seen snow except in pics

And you guys rode without traction control, heated grips and monster screens. Shoo.

When we were still men.Fak that enjoy my abs.tc.heated grips  :ricky: