The notorious input rear shaft seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smuggy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Yes it happened to me. Two days ago I noticed the clutch on my bike start to slip at about 4500rpm. My bike has 70k km on it so I thought it a bit odd for the clutch to pack in now.
Anyway I decided to do a search on WDs and quickly realised it can only be one of two causes.
I pulled the starter motor and shone a tourch into the clutch assembly and sure enough it was oily in there. I checked the clutch master cylinder fluid and it was full so that only left 1 cause - that input shaft rear seal..
So first thing yesterday I pulled the clutch slave cylinder and about a tablespoon of gear oil came out. Inspecting the slave cylinder it looked good, the release bearing was smooth and seal looked good - not a sign of it spinning in the bore.
Next the big job..
2 hours later the gearbox was out.

LGFQqlN.jpg

Input splines look good still..

tKfQ8ak.jpg

I pulled the offending seal from the rear of the gearbox and was off to Bearingman for a new one..
Cost a whole 10 bucks..
New seal in place..

5aNcCuC.jpg

Clutch plate splines bit worn I would say..

t0R4c0h.jpg

Note greasy coating on the friction surface.

nMsxr50.jpg

Pressure plate and clutch cover have a bit of wear and clutch plate is down to just a shade over 5mm.
From what I read its best to change the lot and not just the clutch plate so I placed an order with Motoworks yesterday afternoon after getting a quote from the stealers here..

Now all I have to do is sit and wait.. :sip: