The Western Cape – A scenic wonderland full of surprises

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Part 1 – Stilbaai and surrounds

With a few precious days of leave left and a burning desire to ride Baviaans, the DR was promptly hooked up to the Honda for the trip to Stilbaai.

At Stilbaai I picked up my airhawk seat from ChrisL who kindly offered to take me on a ride the next day :thumleft: We left for Riversdale passing the Korinte-Vetrivier dam along a beautiful gravel road winding its way along the foothills of the mountains. I must have tested Chris’s patience to the limit as I was slowly cruising along admiring the views and stopping every few meters to say things such as “wow” and “awesome” and to take more photo’s ::)

Skirting Heidelberg we travelled on dirt in the direction of Suurbraak and the fantastic Tradouw’s pass. This was to be the first of two Thomas Bain constructed passes that I was to ride during the week. I am no civil engineer, but this man clearly knew the best way to get over a mountain :thumleft:

At Barrydale we stopped for brunch at the famous Country Pumpkin restaurant before turning off onto more dirt roads that eventually brought us to the Gysmanshoek pass. This gravel pass was a great ride, even became a tweespoor at times.

Having crossed back over the mountain we headed back home via gravel roads through an area known as “Die Vlakte” all the way to Blombos and Jongensfontein before returning to Stilbaai and going our separate ways. I forgot what the distance was, but I began to appreciate my purchase of the airhawk :mwink: Once you set it up correctly it works very well and I doubt whether I would have been able to cover the distances that I rode in the next few days without it.           

Fishing and a strandbraai at Witsand was next on the family menu with the only difference that I took the dirt road past Vermaaklikheid to get there while the rest travelled by car on the tar.

Part 2 - Prins Alfred’s Pass

That night I packed my drybag with the bare essentials for my overnight trip to Baviaans and strapped it to the Zook. The following morning early I set off travelling from Stilbaai on gravel to Gouritsmond, then on tar past the gated community of Vleesbaai and onwards on the N2 to Wilderness. Here I turned onto gravel so as to travel behind die Bo-Langvlei and Rondevlei until the road re-joined the N2 heading towards Knysna.

After passing through Knysna I found the R339 turn-off to Uniondale, but was very disappointed to discover that the road was a tar road. However, my mood soon lifted when the road became gravel and started to wind its way through the magnificent Knysna forest ;D Stopping frequently at spots along the way (Diepwalle, the Big Tree, etc) I even took the time to take a relaxed stroll through the forest until I disturbed a humongous snake which sped away leaving me shaking in my boots and running for the safety of my bike. I later discovered that a better option would have been to miss the first part of the R339 by instead taking Krom-se-Pad (Old Cape Road?) that runs through the forest from Knysna and later joins with the R339. Ah well, so we learn.

On top of the Spitskop viewpoint I ran into two Irish gents who have rented bikes from Le Cap and was on their way to Gamkaskloof. I proposed that they also consider Baviaans, but they seemed intent to stick with their plan so I said goodbye and left.

Reading the map the night before, the Prince Alfred Pass was just a means to an end – an obstacle to be overcome on the way to Uniondale. Ironic then that it turned out to be the highlight of my trip. Another Thomas Bain creation I was amazed by its length and the extraordinary and varied scenery surrounding it. The narrow road, precarious heights and the deep valleys below tested both my rear brake and my fear of heights. It was full of surprises too with little waterfalls and clear rock pools seemingly around every corner beckoning me to stop and take a swim.

Without looking for it, I managed to find Angie’s G-Spot. It is located at S33 48.549 E23 10.693

Run by a fellow adventure biker and his wife (Angie) it consists of a pub, restaurant and cottages built next to a river. I spend a very enjoyable half-an-hour talking to the proprietor and admiring his relaxed way of life. Remarking that I hope he becomes as successful as his friend Ronnie (Ronnie’s Sex Shop) he replied that he would prefer that it remains a quiet haven for adventure bikers and gravel-road travellers. The place so impressed that I could believe his claim that a couple once came for a drink and stayed for three days. Go check it out.

For the fly fishermen, the Outeniqua trout lodge is located right next door https://www.places.co.za/html/10723.html

Reaching Uniondale I filled the DR’s 18 litre tank to the brim in anticipation for the trip through Baviaans. Taking the first signposted dirt road that said “Baviaanskloof” I was soon riding through the Nuwekloof enjoying the red colour of the rock formations in the dusk. Taking Trailrider’s advice I turned into one of the first B&B’s called “Uitspan Guest Farm” (S33 30.952 E23 42.299, Tel: 044 923 1511) run by Christine and Nico Smith and enquired as to lodgings and a meal. I was in luck and was given a cottage and a wholesome dinner for a very respectable price. My plan was to rest up and then tackle Baviaans early the next morning when fresh and rested so as to enjoy it to its fullest.     

Part 3 Baviaans – it is not as they said

To partially quote from the title of that famous ride report by Metaljockey is apt in the circumstances. Baviaans took me a bit by surprise –

It is basically a Nature area bordered on either side (Willomore and Patensie) by a road winding through farmland, so the really interesting piece is actually the Nature area.

The second thing that did not register fully with me until I was well into the area is how big it was  :eek: – some 90 odd km’s from entry to exit if I remember correctly. With the slow going, I was starting to curse myself for being ill-prepared and not carrying any water as the temperature started to climb into the high thirties. I had clearly suffered under the mistaken impression that I would simply blast my way through this little reserve in a half-hour or so.

The going was tough with very rock paths lined with thorn trees. Thinking that a puncture would be a pain in these circumstances I was less than thrilled to discover, when going through my kit during a break, that whilst I had levers, a spare tyre and a battery operated pump, I had no means to connect the pump to my battery. So if I did get a puncture I was basically screwed. 

The area was also deserted and I only came across two other bikers travelling from the opposite direction. One rode on a Cagiva Elephant and one on a hardly-recognizable and very loaded XR400. Le Cap seems to be a famous man in these parts as the chap on the XR sported a T-Shirt of his business.

I was expecting water crossings galore, but the area was very dry and only a few were there to be enjoyed. Still a lot of fun though as I forgot about the hole in the Smitskraal crossing until I rode straight into it. Baviaans during the wet season will undoubtedly be a much tougher challenge.

I can not recall from previous readings of Baviaanskloof ride reports that a lot of mention was made of the very steep and rocky (you need a good imagination to call it a road) sections to the Western side. I was glad to tackle that part on such a dirt-capable bike as the DR with its Dunlop D606 tyres. Hopping from rock ledge to rock ledge it seemed that even a baboon would need a cane to get up there. So let me be the first wimp to say that I found it reasonably challenging.       

Lest it seems that I did not enjoy Baviaans, in fact I had a ball. Stopping every so often to take pictures or to admire the large amount of animals that would suddenly appear in the bushes next to the road I had such a good time that I took much too long to complete the nature section with the result that I was far behind schedule by the time I left the Reserve. But what the hell, it was a fantastic experience that I will definitively do again.

The road leading to Patensie is definitely the more scenic of the two Baviaans farmland sections due to the fact that it runs next to the river for a while. I also stopped at the place (I think it was Bruinjieskraal?) where the Wild dogs had their Baviaans bash. A beautiful camping spot.

Soon I was faced with a choice – head to Patensie for fuel or take a dirt road to Humansdorp thereby cutting out a bit of a loop. There was no board saying how far it was to Humansdorp and on asking the locals one said 30km’s and the other said it was over a hundred. The only thing they agreed on was that there was no fuel enroute. I decided to risk it and to make for Humansdorp. I made it with fuel to spare and was again grateful for the oversize tank that made long distance touring possible on the DR.

With a 40 odd km wind blasting in from the sea, I decided to leave the N2 and rather take the R62 through the Langkloof to George. With the wind pushing from the left and slightly behind the DR was running a comfortable 120km/h as the towns rolled past (Kareedouw, Joubertina and Haarlem). Although I was starting to feel the effects of the hours in the saddle, the airhawk saved me from serious monkey butt.

Whilst taking a break I received a SMS from my brother who had the foresight to hitch the trailer earlier that day when he came to George for some shopping. The fact that we could meet in George meant that I would be saved the additional 140 odd km’s to Stilbaai whilst giving me an opportunity to still ride the famous Montagu Pass.

It is a breathtaking road providing unparalleled views over George and I can now appreciate why people such as Trailrider enjoy it so much.

Distance covered over the two days was approximately 858km’s.

Some more photo’s –

Thanks for reading.

Awesome ride ,seems u really enjoy the DR  :ricky:

chrisL said:
It was a pleasure showing you around. C.

Thanks again :thumleft:
REDRIDER said:
Awesome ride ,seems u really enjoy the DR   :ricky:

It seems my preference will always be thumpers ;D

CAPTAIN SLOW said:
Awesome....

Where is the hole in Smits Kraal?

Thanks. Most crossings (apart from a few rocky ones) are cemented so going accross is no big deal. If I remember correctly, the hole was about half way accross on the right side.

If you keep to the left it is smooth sailing all the way.

Kykdaar said:
The area was also deserted and I only came across two other bikers travelling from the opposite direction. One rode on a Cagiva Elephant and one on a hardly-recognizable and very loaded XR400. Le Cap seems to be a famous man in these parts as the chap on the XR sported a T-Shirt of his business.

Kykdaar, kyk gou hier...
Kan nie mooi sien nie... Lyk vir my na dieselfde Elefant?

Pic050.jpg

Pic051.jpg

Bus,

Dit is beslis dieselfde bike.

Ek erken dit aan die metaal side-cover plaat wat dit ophet. Ek het nogal daarna gekyk en met hom daaroor gepraat. Blerrie goeie idee om duur plastics te spaar. Kort, vriendelik, ou met poniestert.

Hulle was blykbaar op pad Kaap toe. Waar het jy hulle raakgeloop?

Ek het eendag die bike by die Garden Centre inie Kaap gesien.
Nooit die ou ontmoet nie, maar net 'n paar snaps van die bike gevat.
Die Springbok vel seat was vir my die clincher, haha!!!
Ek dink die ou bly hier in die Kaap.
Klein wereld!!!

Nice report.

And very nice looking wind screen you have there. Care to tell where you got it?

You lucky Shit :mad: Glad you enjoyed it " A " That Dr is starting to grow on me :thumleft: Nice :mwink:

mrg46 said:
Nice report.

And very nice looking wind screen you have there. Care to tell where you got it?

Thanks. It was on the bike when I got it. I believe that it is a Kappa product bought originally from Topbox.

blazes said:
You lucky Shit :mad: Glad you enjoyed it " A " That Dr is starting to grow on me :thumleft: Nice :mwink:

:thumleft: Same thing happened to me. Was reading all the stuff LeCap had to say and became more and more convinced that the DR is the last remaining true DS bike.

Now before everyone starts shouting at me :3some:, I best explain my reasoning. IMHO a true dual sport bike is actually a basic 650 scrambler kitted out as little as possible (i.e. tank, screen, seat) to enable longer distance off-road riding without sacrificing it's off-road capabilities or adding too much weight to it. A road bike that can ride gravel highways is not a DS bike  :peepwall:

The DR is the only bike that fits that description and which can still be bought new. The BMW X-challenge comes a close second but will be expensive to "upgrade" to DS level. If you, however, add the KISS (Keep it simple) criteria the X-challenge must be disregarded (airshock, electronics, etc) - leaving only the DR still standing.

So, join the secret Suzuki society and everything will be revealed :deal: 

Plore said:
Lekker man

;D :thumleft:

KT-emmer707 said:
Nice one :thumleft:

;D :thumleft:

The DR is the only bike that fits that description and which can still be bought new.

+1

I can't understand why yammy, honda and the rest don't still produce simple, strong and light d/s bikes. Maybe they're leaving that section of the market to the Chinese  :eek7:

Not everyone wants to splash out major dosh on fancy, cutting edge, expensive to service bikes.

Lekker pics, BTW :thumleft:

jenks said:
The DR is the only bike that fits that description and which can still be bought new.

+1

I can't understand why yammy, honda and the rest don't still produce simple, strong and light d/s bikes. Maybe they're leaving that section of the market to the Chinese  :eek7:

Not everyone wants to splash out major dosh on fancy, cutting edge, expensive to service bikes.

Hey Jenks, when we putting together a lekker ride for the members of the secret Suzuki society?

You, me, sidetrack, etc ....................Do a bit of a technical ride to enjoy the off-road capabilities of the DR and DRZ.

Kykdaar said:
jenks said:

+1

Hey Jenks, when we putting together a lekker ride for the members of the secret Suzuki society?

You, me, sidetrack, etc ....................Do a bit of a technical ride to enjoy the off-road capabilities of the DR and DRZ.

Sounds like a plan.

You've been appointed by unanimous vote to organise!

Just remember I'm still a noobish rider  :deal:

BTW how did you find that air cushion magafta? Does it make the seat a lot higher. I'm 5'8" :\

Latest posts