Tiger 800XC Newbie “Review”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
So, I have been to Jhb and back to PTA twice now and did a short stint in and around PTA over the weekend. As was suggested by some, the smile has still not worn off.  A couple of things that I noted though (but please remember my only previous bike has been a Kawa 500KLE).

First, this bike is extremely sensitive on the throttle.  I do not think it is a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.  I am used to wringing the death out of the throttle, which seemed to then sent someone to go up the mountain and get the acceleration message scribed into clay tablets and then the clay tablets are transferred by sloths to the engine and eventually when the engine has translated the Hebrew into petrolhead language, then only respond.  Now all of this seems to be handled by a super processer that reacts in nanoseconds.  Not bad at all.

Secondly the smooth gearbox.  In all the reviews this is mentioned and I can verify those testimonies.  It is so slick that I have to constantly verify on the instrument cluster which gear I am in, because I do not at all remember changing gears.  Changing gears is almost uneventful.

And off course last, the engine, man what an engine.  That soft hissy purr that is emitted once you start her which turns into a fearsome snarl when you really open up the throttle is immensely satisfying. And the old adage, “all beat and no speed” definitely does not apply in this case.  As I am still running her in, I cannot experience the full effect of her power, but running her up to 6000rpm is more than satisfying at this point, while I still learn her tricks.  What also really sounds nice is the little off-beat gurgle that she emits when you shut down the throttle. Almost a disappointing sigh from the engine, letting you know that she is not too happy with what you are doing now, but that she will respond once you yank open the throttle again.

At this stage there are only 2 negatives that I can point out.  The most annoying is the amount of engine heat that is diverted onto my thighs.  When travelling at speeds of greater than 100kph this is not too much of an issue, except if the outside temperature is higher than 30 degrees Celsius. This can be an advantage in winter or an early morning ride. But up here in Gauteng and traffic with riding pants on, it definitely becomes noticeable.

When travelling in traffic and having to often put your feet down, the seat bites into my inner thighs.  Not a huge problem, but again a bit uncomfortable.  Once my feet are on the pegs, the problem is gone, and hopefully my feet will stay on the pegs longer.

Well folks so far excellent and I can see this is going to be a long time relationships with more ups than downs, off course always dependent on me doing my bit.  Once I hit the dirt, I will fill you in on my next chapter in life.