To Gaansbaai with a heap of sand and a Brakenjan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ahh, the joys of being on Holiday.

Dawid of Brakenjan fame was also on holiday in Onrus and Pm’d me to say that he was keen to be shown around and preferably a bit of sand. Well, I have been coming to this part of the world for many years and have found a few lekker places to ride and as I have always been on my own here was an opportunity to spread the fun.

We met at the Sandbaai Engen, But I’d already had a fall as I had stalled on the front lawn on full lock and down she went. So the score was Andrew 1 Dawid 0 before we had even met.

The normal, “hello, nice day for a ride” conversation and the eerie experience of a virgin meatspace meeting but we’ve-met-before-per-forum experience.

And we’re off. The plan was to go to Stanford and do some of the tracks in that part of the world. His legend 650R is not a tar mile muncher, 120 is about it.

But tar was something that was not much on the menu so before too long we were into some of the better trails and soon at the end of one... I’d like to say that I did a neat dismount but it was a proper fall right over the front for me Andrew 2 Dawid 0.

Fortunately he clawed one back obviously thinking it was the done thing, 2 -1

Pretty hey?

We stayed off the beach.

That track you see is what we came in on, a stunning little sandy thing with just the right amount of sand to start the day.

This part of the world does strange things to people.

But places to go... so doubling back we did a quick loop of a favourite little stretch before heading through the fynbos towards Gansbaai. We stopped a few times to chew the fat at opportune times. This track is one that I had not done before but knew where it must come out, it was a sweaty little thing at times.

It takes one back to the beach. I had not been past this point and had always turned back here. The track is hard to find so we rode making our own path trying to get to the 4x4 route from Gansbaai. We’d find the track then lose it often and did most of this stretch off piste so to speak. Just aim and go.

It is tough work over dosing on the fun-o-meter

Finally we found the main 4x4 route where the sand was very thick in places, it was very tough to get up onto the plane. But a magic little track.

Dawid evened up the score and boiled his radiator.

KTM taking in the view.

We wondered why the few people that we met weren’t so friendly. They knew something we didn't.... At the gate it would have been a R2000.00 fine or 6 months jail if this chap had not been feeling so generous. We’d come through national park where bikes were not permitted.

What a waste as it is a really stunning little stretch. so No, you guys can’t go there and we’ve buggered it up for you as all the excuses we used to get us out of jail won’t work a second time around. Fortunately Dawid is in the legal world back home and those silky negotiational skills came in handy. I’ve always wanted to say, “speak to my lawyer”!

A cool drink and something to snack was needed so off into Ganbaai village, but something didn’t seem right with the chain/gearbox. My first thoughts were that either it was the big stump I’d hit the gear selector with at one point or the 4x4 track has very heavy sand with some patches of sandstone that the spinning rear hits putting immense strain on the system breaking something.

Off came the sprocket cover, but nothing seemed loose or crunchy?

On trying to replace the sprocket cover I found the problem the stump had pushed the bottom bolt up and was making the sprocket cover hit the chain. Bonus! Nothing big and easily fixed... just leave the cover off.

But, rather than having the snack and beer in Gansbaai (a place for some reason that I detest, for me it has a bad vibe) we headed back at the Honda’s top hand numbing speed to Hermanus for a burger and a chat.

We looked a little out of place at the waterfront place, but bugger them.

And so it was. Final score was 2 all, I think.

Great RR Kamanya and great pics! Looked like a awesome day riding thanks for sharing  :thumleft: 

Thank you this was a nice experience. Glad you came off lightly with fauna & flora.
:ricky:

Brakenjan jou bliksem! Jy sê ons nie eers jy gaan ry nie! Ek sien jy gaan afk@k op die Weskus trippie...

Great report Kamanya!

Great RR ! You guys really have big goens to ride in that kind of sand !

Lekker man!Lyk na vet pret so ini sand :thumleft:

What a ride?!?!?

Where do I start......??

Since my early lurking days on this forum you get to "know" the regulars and you develop sort of an affinity for some of the characters in the soap opera that is this great forum. One of my favourite characters has always been one “Kamanya” whose Namibia RR was part inspiration for an epic Kaokoland trip that 007, Lootch, Maverick and I did in 2007. But (for me at least) Kamanya resided in a virtual world with no real expectation on my side to ever change that status.

Fast forward a couple of years and I recently stumbled upon Kamanya’s inspirational sand riding thread that prompted a PM from my side as I was planning to holiday it that area with the XR and wanted to see whether I could tame the sand monster. As luck would have it, Andrew also holidayed in this part of the world and we agreed tentatively to hook up.

It was great meeting the two legends in person: Andrew and his by now famous and awesome sounding Katoom 950 Adv. I followed him trough Hermanus and when he popped a wheelie and power slid the Katoom round the busiest intersection in Hermanus I knew I was in for a master class of note!!

It ended up being one of the greatest rides I have ever had – the (new to me) XR650R is an awesome bike and thoroughly deserves its legend status. There is no better way to up skill on sand riding than to ride a bike that was built for this kind of stuff (my XR) and following a master rider on a bike that was SO not built for this kind of stuff (Andrew’s Katoom). There were many times when I thought I was going to see my arse only to realise that Andrew had already done that stretch on a bike 70kg’s heavier than mine without blinking!! Respect Mr Johnstone, respect!!!

Thanks again for a great ride Andrew – it was an absolute privilege to ride with you in DS heaven!  :thumleft:

D.

Het julle gister by Hawston (ek dink) verby gegaan. Dit het nogal gelyk of die XR sy eie "bunker bike" by hom het vir on the move refueling.
Hoeveel petrol vat daai Katoom tenk?

Lekker RR Kamanya , as usual , looks like you guys had great sports :)

Small world , I was also at Onrus the week-end , our family has been going there every year since I was born, in fact they have been going since the forties ,  its such a tranquil place isn't ?

Basset said:
Het julle gister by Hawston (ek dink) verby gegaan. Dit het nogal gelyk of die XR sy eie "bunker bike" by hom het vir on the move refueling.
Hoeveel petrol vat daai Katoom tenk?

We never went as far as Hawston, must have been before then.

The tanks hold 45 liters but I seldom put that much in and never on this kind of riding

From yesterday, there is about 18-20 liters in there, it was a bit much for this kind of riding

Luckily 20 liters in that tank vs a full tank on the stock setup would be easier on the bigger tank as it is wider and will carry the weight lower. But yeah, those tanks fully fueled is no joke!

Brakenjan said:
What a ride?!?!?

Where do I start......??

Since my early lurking days on this forum you get to "know" the regulars and you develop sort of an affinity for some of the characters in the soap opera that is this great forum. One of my favourite characters has always been one “Kamanya” whose Namibia RR was part inspiration for an epic Kaokoland trip that 007, Lootch, Maverick and I did in 2007. But (for me at least) Kamanya resided in a virtual world with no real expectation on my side to ever change that status.

Fast forward a couple of years and I recently stumbled upon Kamanya’s inspirational sand riding thread that prompted a PM from my side as I was planning to holiday it that area with the XR and wanted to see whether I could tame the sand monster. As luck would have it, Andrew also holidayed in this part of the world and we agreed tentatively to hook up.

It was great meeting the two legends in person: Andrew and his by now famous and awesome sounding Katoom 950 Adv. I followed him trough Hermanus and when he popped a wheelie and power slid the Katoom round the busiest intersection in Hermanus I knew I was in for a master class of note!!

It ended up being one of the greatest rides I have ever had – the (new to me) XR650R is an awesome bike and thoroughly deserves its legend status. There is no better way to up skill on sand riding than to ride a bike that was built for this kind of stuff (my XR) and following a master rider on a bike that was SO not built for this kind of stuff (Andrew’s Katoom). There were many times when I thought I was going to see my arse only to realise that Andrew had already done that stretch on a bike 70kg’s heavier than mine without blinking!! Respect Mr Johnstone, respect!!!

Thanks again for a great ride Andrew – it was an absolute privilege to ride with you in DS heaven!  :thumleft:

D.
Glad to see you are using my old Xr for what it was made for  :thumleft: And enjoying it. Glad to see it riding and not standing in my garage--Great stuff. BJ

Nice 1. Like the pic of the Katoom with the sea behind :thumleft:

Nice RR guys, looks lekka, been in that part of SA before but never on a bike!  :mwink:

Looks really nice out there!  :thumleft:

Brakenjan said:
What a ride?!?!?

Where do I start......??

D.

Thanks for the compliment, you Joburg Okes are so easy to impress it's embarrassing! :biggrin:

And, the 950 IS the machine for this kind of work... it won the Dakar.

Excellent, really enjoyed it and to Kamanya - that KTM of yours really look the dog's bollocks :laughing4: