Touring on a Versatile system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
My search for a mid-size all-round bike eventually led me to the Kawasaki Versys 650. On paper it looked impressive and, I am happy to report, it’s solid reputation is well deserved.

A few things came together, I had 5 days to myself and I decided to take a bit of a road trip and to scratch one more thing off my bucket list – to visit the Southernmost point of the continent at Algulhas.

I was also keen to see how the Versys stacked up as a touring bike. Prior to leaving I purchased a Givi touring screen and a set of beautiful Givi V-35 luggage contoured to fit the shape of the Versys. The Motech mounting brackets did not arrive in time so I fitted the screen, strapped a gymbag over the rear seat  and left Pretoria on a miserable and windy morning. This was a sign of things to come as strong wind was a constant and unwelcome companion for the duration of my trip. The Versys ate up the tarmac and 840Km’s later I arrived in Upington. On the way I passed a group of assorted riders on adventure bikes in Delareyville – must have been dogs, because they all waved back.

The original plan for the next day was to drive to Lambertsbaai via Kenhardt and Calvinia, but the guesthouse owner recommended that I keep to the N14 as there were still some late-season flowers to be seen. Outside Kakamas, the road really opened up in the flat landscape and I took the opportunity to really open the Versys up n bit and I was not disappointed – for a 650 this thing can really shift thanks to that lovely parallel twin motor.

In no time I stopped at the Garage in Pofadder for fuel and a coke. Some nice old wagons in the restaurant, but fortunately things have moved on since then. Standing outside I was engaged in conversation by a friendly tannie who confessed that she could never fathom why people toured on motorcycles until she read a book on the “Zen of Motorcycling”. She asked me if I read it and when I replied that I have not she asked me what my motivation was. For various reasons at that time it was actually a very good question to contemplate, but the best I could come up with was “It is quiet and peaceful”

Just outside Springbok the first flowers appeared and it was indeed nice to see. I stopped a few times to take pictures and enjoy the solitude of the largely deserted road. I decided to turn off at Kamieskroon for a break and ended up at a local coffee shop managed by a very friendly Oom. Spent a very pleasant half an hour sitting in the shade of a verandah and talking to the Oom on a surprisingly wide variety of interesting topics. Some amazing people that one meets in the most unexpected places.

The N7 felt like it would go on forever and just outside Clanwilliam I came up alongside another adventure rider on a blue KLR packed for a trip. Gave him the thumps up and carried on as by now doing a similar 110km/h felt like crawling along. Arrived in Lambertsbaai with the sun in my eyes, caught the local Info centre open with 5 minutes to spare and secured a booking in a guesthouse. Distance for the day was about 814 km’s. An hour or so later I was having a few cold ones at Isabella’s, enjoying the sea breeze and waiting for my meal to arrive – life is good.

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    271.8 KB
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    320.3 KB
  • Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    186.1 KB
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    208.3 KB
Next day was a lovely ride. First up was Elandsbaai, Laaiplek and Velddrif where I had some great hake and chips. Hopefield, Malmesbury, Wellington and the Paarl followed in quick succession before I reached Franschoek. Having never been there before I was surprised by the beauty of the place and will definitely be going back. The weather by now have deteriorated and I ascended the pass in rain and thick mist. Going down on the other side, the skies opened up, but the downside was that I have arrived in what felt like tornado alley. Taking a break next to some dam I had to grab the bike before it got blown over by a gust of wind. Caledon, Napier and Bredasdorp for fuel. Here the road splits and I quickly drove the 30 odd km’s to Algulhas to make it before the sun set. It was a beautiful place and I lingered for quite a time before heading back to Bredasdorp and then to Arniston.

This was one of the most beautiful places I have seen on my trip and a stay at the hotel on that awesome little beachfront will happen sometime. For now, I was on a biker’s budget and headed to “Die Herberg” just out of town next to the Denel testing grounds for the night. Distance for the day – about 600 odd km’s

Attachments

• Image00021.jpg
    Image00021.jpg
    235 KB
  • Image00034.jpg
    Image00034.jpg
    191.5 KB
  • Image00027.jpg
    Image00027.jpg
    180.1 KB
  • Image00018.jpg
    Image00018.jpg
    220.7 KB
  • Image00017.jpg
    Image00017.jpg
    185.8 KB
  • Image00013.jpg
    Image00013.jpg
    191.7 KB
  • Image00012.jpg
    Image00012.jpg
    208.1 KB
  • Image00010.jpg
    Image00010.jpg
    218.8 KB
some more pics of Arniston

Attachments

• Image00033.jpg
    Image00033.jpg
    178.1 KB
  • Image00035.jpg
    Image00035.jpg
    181.7 KB
  • Image00039.jpg
    Image00039.jpg
    186.3 KB
  • Image00045.jpg
    Image00045.jpg
    190.4 KB
  • Image00048.jpg
    Image00048.jpg
    204.5 KB
  • Image00037.jpg
    Image00037.jpg
    180.7 KB
Ek dog jy's nie meer lus vir bike ry nie....

The next day was a quick trip to Stilbaai to surprise my father. Managed to get myself lost just outside Bredasdorp and the road I was turned into gravel. I knew from the map that it had to link up with the tar further on and as this was a Versys I saddled up and carried on. Much to my surprise the bike handled the dirt with no issues even on its road tyres. Versatile system indeed. My father was not there when I arrived and when I called him we chatted for a while before I told him his garage doors was open. There was a few seconds silence before he realised what that meant.

The weather forecast that evening looked bad with heavy rain over my intended route back, so I decided to circumvent it and to stay on the N9 and N1. The Eastern Freestate would have to wait for another time. I left in pouring rain and the weather only started to clear in Graaff-Reinet. With clear skies and dry roads I had a lot of fun on the twisties with the Versys’s mid-range grunt slinging me out of the corners, only to have to brake sharply for the next. Repeat until arms get sore.

A car flashed me before Middelburg and I just had enough time to slow down before I spotted the KK’s pointy little head sticking up out of the tall grass. The aftermarket pipes on the Versys emits a pleasant deep growl and I opened her up as soon as I passed him over a hill. I hoped he heard it – bastid.

From now on I only stopped for fuel and at the many stop and go’s. The Versys just kept on flying as the hours rolled by. By nightfall I was glad to have its excellent light and the well-lit instrument panel. Finally pulled into Pretoria at 9.15 after covering 1300km’s for the day. By now my arse was a bit tender and I enjoyed my dinner standing up.

My verdict after 3927 km's – the Versys is one hell of a bike and I hate wind.

Attachments

• Image00052.jpg
    Image00052.jpg
    188.4 KB
Baie nice! Zonkelnut het ook 'n paar nice RR met sy Versy's. Dis jammer ek is te dik vir een. :D

Trailrider said:
Baie nice! Zonkelnut het ook 'n paar nice RR met sy Versy's. Dis jammer ek is te dik vir een. :D
Is die TA dan grooter?

Nice pics - Die kaap bly maar mooi. Lekker om hier te bly!  :thumleft:

Groot geword in Bredasdorp, maar nooit die area gaan explore op die bike nie. Op my to do list vir Desember if all goes well.  Daai pad tussen Bredasdorp en Swellendam (teer) is die k@kste stuk pad wat jy kry, in my 7jaar wat ek redelik baie daai pad ry, het ek nog net 1 keer nie wind gehad nie en daai pad het my al baie gekos met die tarentale.  Nice report  :thumleft:

Malibu said:
Lekker RR!  Glad you are thrilled with your machine... hope you have many more happy travels...

i take it you haven't read his threads on:
1: quiting biking
2: selling the bike.

Ganjora said:
Malibu said:
Lekker RR!  Glad you are thrilled with your machine... hope you have many more happy travels...

Was hoping that this RR was the next step after the threads... as in... I'm gonna carry on riding....

Malibu said:
Ganjora said:
Malibu said:

Was hoping that this RR was the next step after the threads... as in... I'm gonna carry on riding....

Never say never, things come full circle, it may just be the right thing for this moment in time  :thumleft: