Tribute to an Angel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben-57

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
This is a tribute to my lovely wife Sandra. She has ridden pillion with me for 46 years.

But the story starts way back in February 1977 with the “two-stroke tribe”. Myself on a Yamaha RD350, buddies Manie Carstens (RD350), Muis Muller (RD400), Kobus Ellis (RD400), and Gerrie Rautenbach on his Kawa KH400 triple. Yes, we were wild…

On a sunny Saturday in the Winelands, the 5-th of February, chommie Kobus was taking a run out from Paarl, where we all lived, to Rooi Els along the lovely coastal road from Gordons Bay. We’ve ridden this road many times together, but this day he had a wild blonde on the back…. and plans. I felt somewhat left in the cold, but being my buddy, he realised that this couldn’t work. So he quickly set me up with his little sis, two years our junior, to come along on the ride with me. I did not know her at all, but if she could hang on at the back of the RD it was fine by me. This would be her first time ever on the back of a motorcycle…

To cut a long story short: we had a lovely trip out, stopped at Bikini Beach on the way back, kissed on the beach, and that was it…. I married that girl a couple of years later. My guardian Angel.

Last month I achieved one of my life goals: 50 years on two wheels. Starting in 1973 with a little Honda SS50, now more than 30 bikes later, I am still riding as much as possible. There were spills and thrills over the years, but what a journey it has been. Priceless, wonderful experiences and memories along the way. Of my 50 years in the saddle, Sandra has been with me as pillion for 46 years. This is my tribute to her. She has probably ridden thousands of kilometers more than many bikers out there. I wish her many more. Love you my girl.

Attachments

• Two stroke tribe.jpg
    Two stroke tribe.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Honda SS50.jpg
    Honda SS50.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sandra.jpg
    Sandra.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 0