Trip through SA - 2012 - advice please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
A UK based tour operator has asked me to assist and I want to know if there's any of the WD's that could assist with info and advice and also maybe join the group for parts/sections of the ride to show the visitors the best of our country. I assume this is what the WD's has always been about?

The query I received as follows:

Pete, I’ve been looking at destinations for the winter and by luck, I met someone a while ago who owns a big ranch up near Kruger and they suggested I could bring a group up there. I initially dismissed the idea because I don’t really know SA but I’ve mooted the idea to a few people who are really keen to come on a trip to SA.

I’ve checked out the shipping and the carnets and it’s do-able but my problem is, is not really knowing the country and how things work down there. If I can get some decent info or maybe some help down there, I’m confident this could be a great place to bring a bunch of bikers and specifically GS’s.

My thoughts were to ship in and out of Capetown and have a 3 or 4 week tour. Time could be over Christmas or January / February.  Capetown is a good place to start and finish I think as it’s well known and there are good shipping links.

I wonder if you could help with a few questions? If so, here’s some to be getting a long with:
• My initial route would be up the coast and into Namibia, across to Botswana, a few days at the ranch near Kruger and back down to Capetown.
• Is camping an option or is it motels? If it’s motels, what would be an average cost?
• Is it safe???
• How much dirt is there because if it’s an adventure on a GS, you have to get the thing dirty!
• Can this be done in 3 weeks or is 4 better? Bear in mind, most folk can get 3 weeks holiday at one stretch but 4 weeks is difficult.
• What’s the petrol price at the moment and is it readily available out in the sticks?

I would need a minimum of 6 riders from my side to make this a go-er and I’m sure I can get that number very easily.

This chap wants to punt SA - I feel that if we make a group effort to get the blokes to experience the very best - they might well bring more riders and be real positive ambassadors for what can only be described as DS heaven!

Obviously some of the basic questions have been answered..... but I'd appreciate suggestions for routing from Cape Town to Namibia, across to Kruger and then down South again.