Trip to The Hell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxwain

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Friday 6 th September 2013 ...Perfect day to go on a long ride so my mate Paul and I headed out for Gamkas Kloof otherwise known as Die Hell.

Trip to The Hell  (Apologies for the poor quality but You Tube murders video quality when its uploaded)
Its an absolute magic ride from Somerset West to Swellendam  then a stop at Barrydale for one of the Country Pumpkins famous curried mince pies, then on to Ladysmith, Carlitzdorp and a stop over at Kruis Rivier Camp Site which is about 30 km from Calitzdorp on the dirt road to Swartberg pass.
Kruis Rivier is a great place to camp , not expensive, brilliant views of the Swartberg mountains and biker friendly. We were made to feel very welcome when we arrived. This is a really nice spot.
Saturday morning, up bright and early and off to the Swartberg Pass and Gamkas Kloof. For anyone who hasn't done it yet , this is a must. The Swartberg pass is truly spectacular with stunning views of the Little Karoo and a great twisty dirt road to sharpen your riding skills on.
As always, the road to The Hell is just awesome. Fortunately the river crossings where not too deep after some heavy rains, and we got to the Cape Nature camping grounds without any mishaps. Saturday night we braaied and polished of a loaf of pot bread that the kiosk kindly supplied us , looked at the stars, had a few whiskeys and talked a lot of shit ....man this is the way to live  :biggrin:
Sunday morning we left and headed back to Somerset West.

All in all a great weekend .           

Ian in Great Brak River said:
Where you able to buy meat and drink at the camp site in Gamkas ?
Yes you can get meat and beers / ciders at the Kiosk but you need to pre order braai packs before you go. Beers are not takeaways and have to be drunk at the kiosk. You can also order lekker fresh pot bread which I highly recommend. Braai wood is also available. 

This is still on my bucket list. The problem for me is to find 3days in which to do it. Thanks for the RR!

Great music and special way of putting your RR out here...  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Nadat ek die RR gelees het, kla ek by vroulief oor die geseendes daar in die Kaap met al die voorregte as dit by pragtige roetes kom.
Sy sè toe ewe kordaat, hoekom gaan kamp jy nie in Dullstroom by die plaas Elandskloof en gaan ry bietjie die grondpaaie in daai area nie.
Die vrou het n punt beet dink ek toe mos, net 280km van my af, so Dullstroom hier kom ek.

Coxwain, would you perhaps have the number for Cape Nature to book a camp site? Thanks.

Hi Ian
You can phone 0861227362 and book at the Cape Nature camp site.
The cheaper and maybe the better option is Fontein Gaste Plaas  which is the Kiosk. Phone / Fax 023 5411107 speak to Pieter or Annetjie.  Don't forget to pre order braai packs.

For 13 minutes and 52 seconds you took me on a relaxing ride with great music. Thanks for the effort, really enjoyed it. Now that I'm out of my trance, I see you're the same age as me. Hope there is still many rides waiting for us.  :ricky:

Coxwain said:
Coxwain, would you perhaps have the number for Cape Nature to book a camp site? Thanks.

Hi Ian
The cheaper and maybe the better option is Fontein Gaste Plaas  which is the Kiosk. Phone / Fax 023 5411107 speak to Pieter or Annetjie.  Don't forget to pre order braai packs.

Excellent thanks, we plan to be there on the 31st Oct.

:thumleft:

Coxwain said:

Hi Ian

Excellent thanks, we plan to be there on the 31st Oct.

:thumleft:
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: Enjoy ....Its a great ride.

Lekker read, thx. Planning a trip very soon, will use the cheaper option on accomodation. LEgend

Coxwain said:
Friday 6 th September 2013 ...Perfect day to go on a long ride so my mate Paul and I headed out for Gamkas Kloof otherwise known as Die Hell.

Trip to The Hell   (Apologies for the poor quality but You Tube murders video quality when its uploaded)
Its an absolute magic ride from Somerset West to Swellendam  then a stop at Barrydale for one of the Country Pumpkins famous curried mince pies, then on to Ladysmith, Carlitzdorp and a stop over at Kruis Rivier Camp Site which is about 30 km from Calitzdorp on the dirt road to Swartberg pass.
Kruis Rivier is a great place to camp , not expensive, brilliant views of the Swartberg mountains and biker friendly. We were made to feel very welcome when we arrived. This is a really nice spot.
Saturday morning, up bright and early and off to the Swartberg Pass and Gamkas Kloof. For anyone who hasn't done it yet , this is a must. The Swartberg pass is truly spectacular with stunning views of the Little Karoo and a great twisty dirt road to sharpen your riding skills on.
As always, the road to The Hell is just awesome. Fortunately the river crossings where not too deep after some heavy rains, and we got to the Cape Nature camping grounds without any mishaps. Saturday night we braaied and polished of a loaf of pot bread that the kiosk kindly supplied us , looked at the stars, had a few whiskeys and talked a lot of shit ....man this is the way to live  :biggrin:
Sunday morning we left and headed back to Somerset West.

All in all a great weekend .           

Very nice ride :ricky:

weskusklong said:
Nadat ek die RR gelees het, kla ek by vroulief oor die geseendes daar in die Kaap met al die voorregte as dit by pragtige roetes kom.
Sy sè toe ewe kordaat, hoekom gaan kamp jy nie in Dullstroom by die plaas Elandskloof en gaan ry bietjie die grondpaaie in daai area nie.
Die vrou het n punt beet dink ek toe mos, net 280km van my af, so Dullstroom hier kom ek.

Check daai agter tyre  voor jy gaan  :lol8:

thanks for the RR have booked at fontein gaste plaas for me and Ian . Anatjie she seems to be quite a character.

Lekker! Thanks for sharing! Brought back fond memories of when a few of us did it in 2011!