Valve clearances

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Just wondering; what would happen if you do NOT set valve clearances every 10k km, or so? It seems the assumption is that the 'gap' does not remain constant. If so, does it take 10k km for this to occur? Doubt it. If there is no way of ensuring the valve clearance remains constant, it should not take very long, after having set the V.C's, for the gap to have changed.

Hope this makes sense

You can normally hear that it's time to set the valve clearances. But, I've never heard that it's time after 10k km. I just regularly do it at suggested intervals. Is there a WD that did not set his V.C's for more than 10k km? any noticeable effects?

If I'm correct, the V.C. is there for expansion of metal. The clearance allows the valve to expand when hot, and still properly close the port. no valve clearance may lead to valve not properly sealing combustion chamber during power stroke, which my possibly lead to 'burnt valves'?

The gap always seem to increase with time, so..there's no real danger? Only more noise?

Latest posts