WC: One-nighter: Noob quality, 21,22 Aug 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Camelman

This ride is locked for further public joining. If you would still like to join, please PM me. Thanks.

G'day willehonde!  ;D

Thinking of putting together a nice and easy ride for next weekend:

This is the itinery
  • New: Those camping in Robertson and want to ride together depart from Cape Town (Engen One-stop on the N1 North)  at 14:00 - 14:30. Details of camping ground available tomorrow.
  • Saturday: 08:00 - 08:59:59.999: Meet and talk crap at Wimpy, Robertson.
  • Saturday: 09:00: depart Robertson for Calitzdorp Ladismith (Denvlier Camping) via backroads.
  • Sunday: 09:00 depart Ladismith for Robertson via backroads. (Calitsdorp, Rooiberg-pass, etc) (If we feel strong like bull, there is a lekker alternative route via Heidelberg back home to CT)

Short and sweet ne!

The long version:

Whomever wants, can leave Cape Town friday, and overnight in Robertson. You have to sort your own sleeping arrangements. I will be camping as I plan on doing a SUPER-cheap ride.

On Saturday morning we leave Robertson bright an early and go see if there are really lions in the Klein-Karoo. I'll probably be leaving from Cape Town early Saturday morning.

Saturday evening we overnight in Calitzdorp. Again you will make your own sleeping arrangements. I will be camping again. Super-cheap. Sommer on the side of Rooiberg-pass or something.

UPDATE: We can camp at Etienne's farm in Ladismith. Cost is R50 R60 per person.
Banking details:
PM me, or any of the riders who has paid already,to send you the owners bank details.
https://www.denvlier.co.za/camping.html

Sunday morning we return, ending in Robertson. Thats where my route ends, and everyone can go home, overnight, etc.

This is about as far as my organisational duties go. I shall be your tour guide only!  :biggrin:

The weather:
Don't know yet. Should know by coming Sunday.
Weather looks good. 10+ in the evening and 20+ during the day.

The road conditions:
Super easy gravel. Do'able with a pillion. Awesome scenery.

The fuel range.
If your bike can make 250km, you're okay. Less than that and you'll need 5 litres.

The gear:
Up to you. I'm taking my camping stuff and food for myself.

Support:
None. Your bike breaks, pap-wheel etc. We'll have to fix it, so take plugs, tubes whatever you smaak.

Cell-phone reception:
None. So its going to be nice and easy riding. No fast stuff. All stick in a nice bunch between me (in front) and sweaper (Andy660 -he doesn't know it yet he knows  ;D).

Medical Support:
None. I have a Medi-Kit, and if you're clever you'll have one too. If you ride crap and hurt yourself, its gonna be a long painful ride in the back of a ambulance. Hence the NOOB part!! And no overtaking the leader. Mirror-buddy-checking will be in use.

Maximum number of bikes:
10. Any more and we will take 3 times longer to reach the destination.

To conclude:
As there is no organisation involved, and no payments to be made, just wack your name down. On Thursday I'll check in again, pm everybody, everybody pm's me their number. I tell you where we meet in Robertson on Saturday morning, and thats it.

Easy.

So if you have been longing for a nice gravel bike ride. This is the one. I've done those roads every two months for 5 years. So no surprises there.

Extra info:
If you wanna see part of the route (YouTube):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJX11I8KN1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FMbrxrp2s

Who's going:
1. Camelman
2. Eish
3. Andy660
4. Robin Brown
5. Crossed-up
6. AntonW
7. Giraffe

Who paid for camping at Denvlier (Saturday):
1) Andy660
2) Camelman
3) Crossed-up
4) Trailrider
5) Eish
6) Robin Brown
7) AntonW
8) Giraffe

New: Who's camping with the group in Robertson (Friday): https://www.rivierzicht-resort.com/ R60 per person. Wood is available.
1) Andy660
2) Camelman
3) Robin Brown
4) AntonW

New: Who's riding in the group from CT to Robertson (Friday): Depart Engen 1-Stop @ 14:00
1) Camelman
2) Andy660
3) Robin Brown