Well That Sucked - Gauteng Toy Run from Midrand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
First of all let me say that I know it's for a good cause but as far as I'm concerned the Gauteng Toy Run from Midrand really sucked. This was my fourth one and what I remember from the previous ones that started in Pretoria was the massive amount of bikes at the start. I would be kilometers away from the start and already there would be many bikes on the road heading towards the meeting point. What did I see this time? Maybe 5 bikes on the highway traveling in the same direction as me and I even missed the start point because I was the only bike on Kruger road and I drove right past the church because I expected to see hordes of bikes turning into the church. The amount of bikes at the church was very depressing, at first I though I had stumbled onto one of Blazes' rides by mistake. I'm no good at estimating numbers but there couldn't have been more that 300 bikes at the starting point. The only plus was at least I managed to hook up with GundaGunda and Roux.

One of most impressive sights for me with the previous Toy Runs was the highway filled with bikes and just as you thought you had seen it all another mass of bikes joined up with your group from one of the other starting points doubling the number of bikes. Also, there would be spectators on bridges and the whole ride had, to me, a carnival like atmosphere.

We left the starting point at 09:00 and by 09:40 we were at Nasrec, previous years I would stop at the side of the road for at least 30 minutes and probably more like an hour and just watch a continious stream of bikes.

Maybe the ride to the Carousel drew a bigger crowd but as far as I'm concerned this year the ride was a massive letdown.

We rode from Steeldeale. Enjoyed it a lot. Well organised, safe and with marshalls all over the route. This is my thrid year in a row. Have ridden from Randburg, Greenstone and Steeledale now. Greenstone one was the largest starting group.

Well, dismal weather did not deter the Durbanites. I was quite amazed.

The one to Carousel was quite impressive actually. I think they underestimated the number of bikes from Pretoria as we were way too many people for the endvenue - the drink-stalls suffered as they were told to expect only 2000 people, never mind bikes. I enjoyed it much more than last year's traffic bodge.

Zerc said:
First of all let me say that I know it's for a good cause but as far as I'm concerned the Gauteng Toy Run from Midrand really sucked. This was my fourth one and what I remember from the previous ones that started in Pretoria was the massive amount of bikes at the start. I would be kilometers away from the start and already there would be many bikes on the road heading towards the meeting point. What did I see this time? Maybe 5 bikes on the highway traveling in the same direction as me and I even missed the start point because I was the only bike on Kruger road and I drove right past the church because I expected to see hordes of bikes turning into the church. The amount of bikes at the church was very depressing, at first I though I had stumbled onto one of Blazes' rides by mistake. I'm no good at estimating numbers but there couldn't have been more that 300 bikes at the starting point. The only plus was at least I managed to hook up with GundaGunda and Roux.

One of most impressive sights for me with the previous Toy Runs was the highway filled with bikes and just as you thought you had seen it all another mass of bikes joined up with your group from one of the other starting points doubling the number of bikes. Also, there would be spectators on bridges and the whole ride had, to me, a carnival like atmosphere.

We left the starting point at 09:00 and by 09:40 we were at Nasrec, previous years I would stop at the side of the road for at least 30 minutes and probably more like an hour and just watch a continious stream of bikes.

Maybe the ride to the Carousel drew a bigger crowd but as far as I'm concerned this year the ride was a massive letdown.

Me thinks you started at the wrong venue. The starting time for the runs from all the starting points was 10:00. No wonder you saw minimal bikes...

We only started to roll from Greenstone at 10:00. Very well organized, Marshalls (Thinkbike, CMA) kept us all safe. Closed the on-ramps etc. Hats off to these guys.

IMHO the ride from Bright Water Commons (Randburg Waterfront) was amazing. There seemed to be more people than last year.

Well organised and co-ordinated (seemed better than last year) no snarl ups at all.There seemed to be no maniacs and heros.  :thumleft: 

We left at about 09h35 after the HOG marshalls left to man the intersections and then it was plain sailing all the way to Nasrec. There was no dangerous driving or people doing stupid things - yes, you got the few people revving their bikes - but you get that anywhere and everywhere.

Well done to all the organisers - See you there next year again.

:)

jangys said:
Me thinks you started at the wrong venue. The starting time for the runs from all the starting points was 10:00. No wonder you saw minimal bikes...

We only started to roll from Greenstone at 10:00. Very well organized, Marshalls (Thinkbike, CMA) kept us all safe. Closed the on-ramps etc. Hats off to these guys.

Definitely started at the right time, at 09:00 the procession left with marshals and everything. Even the toyrun web site confirms the start at 09:00

I started at the Westgate venue. I dont have any idea how many bikes there were, but it was a lot!! There were no accidents or other problems that I am aware of and the marshals and traffic department did a good job. We had a very enjoyable day but I did not see any Wilddogs.

philemon said:
IMHO the ride from Bright Water Commons (Randburg Waterfront) was amazing. There seemed to be more people than last year.

Well organised and co-ordinated (seemed better than last year) no snarl ups at all.There seemed to be no maniacs and heros.   :thumleft: 

We left at about 09h35 after the HOG marshalls left to man the intersections and then it was plain sailing all the way to Nasrec. There was no dangerous driving or people doing stupid things - yes, you got the few people revving their bikes - but you get that anywhere and everywhere.

Well done to all the organisers - See you there next year again.

:)

I also started at Brightwater Commons and enjoyed the ride immensely. The large crowd at Nasrec was quite amazing. Had to leave early though. I assume the party was good ;D

I also joined the ride from Kolonade to Carousel.

Plenty bikes - I guess no less than 5000.

As mentioned they totally underestimated the numbers. By 11 am they had to bring in more beers. etc, cause we ran the stall dry!

Nice venue, lotsa grass, nice ride/road, got discount tickets as we left to show at tollgates, so we only paid R20 for the return as opposed to R33 and R5 instead of R7.50 at the two gates.

Will do this one again next year - I recon the Nasrec one is not my cuppa tea!

Some okes even took some time to play a few slot machines.

This was my first Toy Run, and all in all I enjoyed it.  I agree with Zerc, the ride there was nothing special.  Sounds like the other starting points had it better.

What I did enjoy was looking at all the bikes at Nasrec.  I have never seen so many bikes in one place!  After having something to eat with Zerc and GG, my wife and I took a long leisurely stroll through the parkade and I gawked and drooled and stared utterly shamelessly.  I especially enjoyed the Goldwing Trike guys.  They pitched with everything AND the kitchen sink.  Their bike and custom trailer combinations are something to see!

O yes, and GG’s new bike is also something to look at.  Congrats again Gunda, I hope you have many safe miles on that new beauty.

I enjoyed the experience and will do it again next year.  But next year I will start from a different venue.

I enjoyed today, and far more than last year. Sure there were not that many bikes in Midrand, but in a way I was quite pleased. Last year there were a number of riders who did not keep a reasonable, whatever that is, following distance and I nearly got caught in a few concertinas. This year there seemed to be far less ego and impatience in the pack was nice to ride in.

I suspect we may have been one of the first packets there, and that was good. Mrs Roux found a shady seat for us (me and Zerc) and the queues for a bite and beer were not bad.

I had a good day, and thanks to Mr and Mrs Roux and Zerc for the company. After leaving I joined my son for brunch at Hyde Park Corner - a bit of a different culture from Nasrec, and then had a sundowner drink with LeonDude at the Centurion Dros. Got to bed thinking "what a really lekka Sunday"

And I want to thank them for not laughing at me too hard. While waiting I decided to do a few slow figures of 8 on the grass at the start to get better with the Ten's throttle and EFI. Unfortunately I messed up one and nearly ended up in the electric fence and laid the Ten down. No harm to anything but my ego.  ;D

Must find some soft grass, get some cones, and do some more where there are not a thousand bikers watching.

I wanted to join from Westgate but on Saturday afternoon I found a problem on my bike that had to be sorted out first.   :(  Me and the wife rode through at about 12 to go and delivered the toys, hanged around a bit and rode back home.

Gee S said:
I started at the Westgate venue. I dont have any idea how many bikes there were, but it was a lot!! There were no accidents or other problems that I am aware of and the marshals and traffic department did a good job. We had a very enjoyable day but I did not see any Wilddogs.

I was at Westgate - sorry I missed you - great turnout and atmosphere though!

I left Bright Water bout 9:15 and went to watch the passing from the top of Gordon offramp bridge.

Lotsa and lotsa bikes

Off to Nasrec and had a good time with lekker friends. Lekker day. Been going to the toyrun for abour 8 years now.

When we left our venue in 'Toti there was an accident on the N2 involving a bike and a bakkie. Didn't look good. My wife said it appeared that the paramedics were trying to extricate someone from the cage, so we thought the bakkie took the brunt of it. This morning we heard the shocking news:

The fkn bakkie klapped this poor dude head on....what happened that he managed to bliksem right across the middel-mannetjie I have no idea...and it's wide there, easy two lanes wide!!! The parameds were actually trying to remove him from from beneath the bakkie.....he never made it. Rest in peace, mate, my deepest condolences to your family and loved ones, whoever you are, you didn't deserve that.

EssBee said:
<Snip>
Rest in peace, mate, my deepest condolences to your family and loved ones, whoever you are, you didn't deserve that.

This is not nice. Deepest sympathy.

-But-

I did three KZN toy runs. First on my old 250 Scooter, two on the KLE.

There were fatalities on 2nd and 3rd. On the 2nd there was a huge concertina on the freeway, a guy went off the verge to the left and smacked into the concrete of an overpass.

On the 3rd when leaving the 'toti venue a guy jumped a robot to stay with his mates and smacked a bakkie.

Abnormal quantities of bikes require abnormal caution.

I was at the back-end of that concertina on the M7 at Queensburgh. I was just trundling along and next thing there is just a wall of bikes in front of me, tyre smoke and bikes taking evasive action left and right.  I only heard later that a guy behind had died.

Seems two idjits had tried to overtake the pack and triggered the concertina when they cut in near the front.

Latest posts