which adv bike to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Hi guys.

Firstly, I did check and this topic hasnt been discussed this year. But appologies if it has or has been banned before as I can only imagine it inviting brand bashing.

So guys, please dont bash but please do try and help me unbiased?

I am still a relative nube but want to upgrade my bike. I currently have an pre facelift Vstrom with high mileage and the wind is tough on me (old shape windscreen). I do the occasional weekend trial riding and plan to do some tours as well. I find the VStrom fine for my needs but want to upgrade to newer/ less mileage bike.

I would like to get a 1000 cc again but would appreciate some more feedback. Can you guys please copy and paste my list and just give your opinions in place of mine for my needs? should end up in a good comparisson. (I dont know if I missed any bikes?). Budget is second hand at bendable R80k

Versys = not cheap, maybe to road focussed, otherwise very good
Vstrom = looks ageing, best value for money, reliable
triumph = Heavy bike, my perception is low support and extras availability, beautiful
bmw = competent but I have read of reliability issues,expensive pay for name but also brilliant support, maybe 800 to off road focussed for me
honda = is the valadero a dual? good brand and capable
ktm = expensive and to offroad focussed for me
Super tenere = I like this bike, but expensive and I believe too much bike for my abilities     

Latest posts