Which bike is the bike for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(READ BELOW FIRST) Which one is the better choice

• Total voters

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
So, while I am saving up to buy a bike again I have been putting a lot of thought into what I should buy and why. Now I want to know from you bunch of knowledgeable blokes/ladies what you think I should get. Please read then vote above and gooi a comment if you want.

So first things first, I intent to use this as a do-it-all bike within reason. I will commute on it most days (40km tar/20km dirt), do day and weekend trips (99% gravel/dirt/twee spoor/off road), hopefully do some longer trips in the same style as my day/weekend trips (Think trips like this one by Beserker: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=25319.0). Aside from commuting I intend to do very little tar, but the commuting is a must, seeing as I won't be able to live with a bike sitting at home and me cursing in traffic.

Next thing is budget. I am saving up to buy cash, not keen on financing. So I am capping myself at R45000. For the right bike I might exceed this by a few R's but not too much.

So on to my bike choices, I compiled my list based on what I have ridden and what I have read/been told/seen.
Most Important Factors:
- Weight has to be low so 650 class or smaller only. Many guys will argue this point I know but for the riding I want to do you will have to be Chris Birch or a very good impersonator to do it on a larger bike.
- Need to be able to hold 110 - 120kmh all day and hit 140 without feeling like it is about to explode.
- I want enough power for the occasional wheelie, even if only 2nd gear and clutch up. I use this as a measure of what I can and cannot do with the bike based on power (I have found it to be an accurate  indicator).
- I want a good long'ish travel suspension. I want to be able to hit any piece of vaguely recogniseable track or road at a reasonable speed and not regularly bottom or overpower the suspension. This is almost the biggest consideration for me. I can deal with an under powered bike if it has decent suspension. So in my mind this rules out a whole host of bikes.
- RELIABLE and SIMPLE to work on and maintain both at home or on the road.
- Range of 300km or more, OR, the ability to mod it to do that range (aftermarket tanks etc).

Things that don't bother me
- Seat comfort (I'm skinny, and regularly eat my teaspoon of PPC  :pot: )
- Electric vs Kick start (I'm young and legend has it I once kick started an Oryx using the tail rotor *disclaimer, I was likely inebriated or it is a lie, not sure  :patch:)
- Having a massive fairing for wind protection, lekker ergonomics etc. These things can be modded to preference. I like a dirtbike'ish setup hence the XR's on my list.

So what am I missing? Any bikes out there I should be considering? Of the lot I know the XR's best, they all have really good suspension (in my opinion at least) are simple to maintain and are bombproof reliable if looked after.

I have another 3 months of waiting at least until I can buy, but I can plan so long  :deal:
Thanks in advance  :thumleft: