Which Bike will be the right one.....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I've recently started with adventure riding or dual sport biking or dirt riding. Not sure what to call it, but I know exactly what it feels like to go riding down a gravel road for many kilometers. I started out with buying an Africa Twin with which I've recently travelled more than 3000km from Walvis to the north of Namibia (Ruacana) and then down south of Namibia (Ai -Ais). After about 7 falls and 1 collision with a big rock, I am hooked on this stuff. It makes you come alive and let you live free, really awesome stuff. I've met a few other riders on the roads and had good chats with everyone.

I am now at a place where I want to commit to this new found sport and where I want to get myself a good modern bike. Now, I am not implying that the AT is not a good bike. On the contrary I think it is the hardest, most reliable, most comfortable bike that I've ever come across. We have shared special moments during the last 20 days.

My question is......., what would be the most suitable bike for me. I am 42 years old, weigh 120kg and do not necessarily want to ride on gravel roads at speeds in excess of 120km/h. I've been looking at the BMW GS800F, Yamaha XT660Z and the KTM 990 Adventure, they all look good and sounds like great bikes. I would greatly appreciate the wisdom of the old experience dogs with regards to reliability, value for money, after sales service, expected mileage, possible distance per trip, upgrade possibilities, resale value, etc.

I am not in a hurry to buy, but will want to finalize the purchase within the next 4 to 6 months.

Many thanks and I look forward to your replies.