Why you should do more oil changes not less

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Ok, I am not saying it was the cause, I also have no idea of the history of the bike, but some advice:

1. Do not skip oil changes, change the oil more often rather than less, it is cheap insurance and YES anyone can do it!
2. Do not leave it ticking over on the side stand, particularly from cold it doesn’t need it and doesn’t like it.

So, I was looking at a problem with a motor, it was making some “noises” on the LEFT side, always a noisy cam chain rattle on that side????  :sip:

So off came the rocker covers, and no funny issues, cam chain tensioners and guides were 100% as were the valve springs, with clearances indicating no “dropped” valves, yes this was not a minor noise.  ::)

So with a cable tie to hold the cam chain sprocket in place, we go a little deeper..  8)

After removing the LHS head, it all looks good, bores look nice, but there is a clue already.. :peepwall:

Same with the head all good, but same clue….. :peepwall:

OK so we have the clues, but no answer yet, so on we go…. Still all pretty so far  :sip:

Ahhhhhh, we have it… :snorting: :snorting:.

Sooo to go further, we need to go into the RHS to get access… the RHS head confirms the clue…

The RHS barrel the same, but I note some evidence that the RHS was burning oil, too much ticking over on the side stand probably, see the ring of carbon at the top of the bore and slight marks in the bore… got the clue yet?  

Pull the RHS cylinder and we start to get access…

Insert the locking pin at TDC and in we go….  8)

Not much room for my sausage fingers in here….. :biggrin:

Sooo, to get the LHS out you go in from the RHS…and this come out…
Edit , identifies bike and owner has not been asked about me using pics…

Unfortunately not a pretty picture… :'( :'(

So boxed up again and we see how we go forward……..