XL 500 Honda To be restored

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRAVELTRAVEL

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I have a line on a reasonably decent condition XL500. Not sure exactly which year model but it has the 23" front wheel and the twin shocks on the rear.

Although it is mechanically sound(everything seems to work properly from the short ride I had on it) it needs attention from a looks point of view definitely and a few bits and pieces such as the tail light and indicators are not original anymore. The spokes on both wheels definitely needs replacement as they are rusted badly.(That is Walvisbay for you)

I am thinking of buying it and restoring it to its former glory. Strip down, respray all the painted bits , replacement of the neck bearings, swing arm bearings , wheel bearings etc. From what I understand , the clutch tends to bind now and again which I take is because it is not ridden often enough.

What is the situation regarding availability of spares? New or second hand? is this something that will be achievable with a relatively limited budget or should I steer clear.

Would appreciate some advice from the experts out there. From what I understand from some other owners out there it is a bit of a donkey in certain aspects but it goes forever.

I will post some pictures tomorrow and hope to get a better idea of what I am letting myself in for.