XR 200 carb tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomike

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Im not a dud when it comes to getting these older scoots to run,but am hopeing to get some input from the fundies ...such as "Dux"and so on.
Realising that dyno tuning is not an option ..out here in the sticks....I can only ear tune and read plug.
To start ..I have 3 older scoots in the stable....two 200X's and a rebuilt 200R.
The Xs run good,but noticed theyr running pretty rich on the plug.......so cleaned out the carbs etc.
Its important to note here that there motors are pretty close to the 200R motor,same age  ..mainly carbs been pretty different ie inlet  &venturi,size jetting etc.
200x has a chaingeable bleed type pilot jet...... a 200R  a fixed pilot plug.
On all starting procedure differs and idle speed is great when cold...but high when hot (which i believe indicates a slightly rich mix...as does the black plug)
Remember also compression and valves on all are good (newish topends)

Ok ..the general pilot circuit setting procedure is...turn pilot screw in ..in increments till the motor dies......note the position...and turn one complete turn out from that ...and your good to go.The
motor then should be responsive to a throttle blip and idle should not hang..but return to normal pretty quick.
Now we know that if its less than a complete turn out (from total in)....we need to richen pilot jet...and obviously more than 2.5 turns out (..from full in)  put in a leaner pilot jet..........rite!

The problem is on all you can turn the pilot screw(fuel screw...or as some say "air screw") all the way in....and the motor doesnt die! so how do you get any settings?
Please dont say the pilot screw is knackered or o/rings faarked..cos they have new carb Kits fitted.

Any body got some Answers? ::)