XR500 damper rod forks - help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grego

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
I re-assembled my forks tonight so i could start fitting the suspension to the frame.
i've stripped the forks loads of times before and have never had any issues when re-assembling them.

this time everything was fine till it came to tightening the allen key bolt that bolts into the damper rod from the bottom of the fork tube. it seats in a recess in the bottom of the fork tube and has a copper crush washer on it.
when the bolt is fully tightened the damper rod is still able to move up & down inside the fork tube, so that the bolt does not seat in the recess (allowing fork oil to leak out the bottom of the fork tube).  :eek:

i measured everything and the shoulder on the bolt is too long, preventing the bolt from seating properly. since i have not changed the bolts, a possible explanation for this problem is that there was some sort of spacer in the bottom of the fork tube that the damper rod rested on?
can anyone confirm this?? i had the tubes powder coated so if there was a plastic or rubber spacer is might have melted.
the manuals i have make no mention of any spacer in the fork tube though.  ???