XT660Z Tenere HID removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi all

As some of you know I got an XT660Z from my BIL on Friday and one of the things that I want to do before roadworthy is take the cursed HID lights out
I do believe that the idea to fit HID lights to a bike that isn't designed for it is from the devil. I experienced the same with the GSA when I got it (also HID fitted): It is bright to be dangerous for oncoming people, but at the same time it just sprays the light everywhere so you can't see well at night

I digress

I got the ballasts and everything removed and managed to reverse the normal riding light (the top one that is easy to reach), but have run into an issue with the lower one

The mechanism that holds the H7 in looks different to the top one
I don't know if it is by design or if it is something that were MacGyver'd when they put it in (my BIL bought it like this)

It has obviously been cut for the wires, but I don't know what is going on if I need to pull it out or twist it
The bike is going in for a full service this week or next, so I can ask them to sort it out, but if I can sort it in the meantime it would be 1st prize

Does this look familiar to anyone ?

The top one that is normal

IMG-20241020-WA0021.jpg

The bottom one:

IMG-20241020-WA0019.jpg