XTZ 750 coughs and dies at full tilt??? WTF???????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all

I am having some trouble with my pony these days. And I am now at the point where i catch myself looking at the box of matches and petrol can more often
So here is the thing,

I have had this problem for a few months even before i started with adding new bits and pieces to it. I have just fitted new emulsion tubes from Kedo and replaced both the diaphragms(the DR650 is a perfect fit for these things, just plug and play!! ) I fitted a new exhaust from Wemoto, the marving jobbie. Too quiet for my liking but its what i could afford at the time. Feels somewhat restrictive though?

If i ride my bike like a normal bloke does, you know, keeps it clean, she pulls fine through all the gears and will happily cruise at 120kms all day. Still heavy on fuel though. and if i give it the beans and ride like a chop, to be fair i only do that on the dirt roads where there are very few people or traffic, its where i start having issues with my bike.

I will be, say in fourth gear, revs at about 6000rpm and my speed is about 140kms-150kms. at this point i have cranked the motor to get me here as fast as possible, the world is flashing past, scaring the cows etc, then I change into 5th gear and the revs are higher and my speed is now approaching the limit, or should i say my limit that my nerves can handle which is about 180kms or so

Now i know some of you are probably sitting there saying... What a dick .... and yes, I know its not ideal to be doing said speed in the dirt, but... well, I am an addict ok... there i said it!!

So i am winging it along at full tilt when the feking thing starts to play up on me. it coughs and splutters and surges back and forth like you do when you run out of fuel. So i ease off on the gas and after a short breather she is fine again, providing i keep the revs low and the speed down. I am back to riding at 100kms and there is no sign of a problem at all.

If i try to crank it back to full tit after its played up, the thing dies on me before i get past 160kms.

SO WHAT THE F*CK?????

I very seldom(read only twice a week or so) ride at full tit as there are only a few places that allow me the privelage to do so, so most of my time i am riding rather sedately. And now that the wife has started riding, I go even slower. It definitely feels lioke a fuel starvation, yet this only happens at full taps, not at a sensible speed. I have changed my rear sprocket to a 48 but that is just for more pull in the lower range.
I have checked the float heights and set them both equally to...errr... 11mm I think it was? I changed my emulsion tubes as they had done 30k and were due for a change as my fuel consumption was up. Now after fitting new ones i still have high consumption and still this full tilt issue( which is relatively new)
I rode up Sani pass in the drakensberg a few weeks back, and near the top, just when i needed the power to get me out of the poo, she died on me and could barely breath at all. Getting to the top was a mission and a half!!

She has a new fuel pump, new fuel filters( one between the tank and pump and one between the pump and carbs) new emulsion tubes and needles, new diaphragms(both the old ones were shafted, one had a huge tear in it, surprised the bike ran at all. umm.... and a new Marving exhaust from wemoto. other thatn that she is as stock standard as she has always been.

my fuel consumption is beyond the pathetic. I changed my emulsion tubes and fitted new diaphragms. I used to average about 475kms to the tanks before reserve and now i am lucky if i get to 400kms at all. now a few days ago i filled up and I hit reserve at a megre 290kms :eek:. So needless to say, things definitely are farked at this point!!

I have tried all the things that i can think of, but i am still having troubles, so at the end of the day... fekin clueless at this point!!

IF there is anyone out there..... anyone at all who may have a clue more than I, PLEASE share your pearls of wisdom!!