Yamaha DT180. Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisXander

Keyboard Rider
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
I own a 90's DT180, think it is a watered down Blaster motor, that has a problem with charging. When you run the normal 35w globe upfront it discharges the battery, not quickly, but eventually. So I got some advice and went LED on the bike.

Since I'm not really riding this specific bike during night time, I changed the front globe to a P21 type 5w/21w that you usually put in the tail light of a motorcycle. The corruption Force leave you out if your front light is burning, so driving around on brights only pulls 21w, and not the 35w of the dim normally.

Then today I went to Schlowy and bought myself 2 P21 type LED globes. Mine is the shortest one, then you get 2 more with even more LED's. Here is some fodies of the light.

Dims

Brights

Works for me. Conrad reckons that these spesific DT's had that problem. I changed the stator with a genuine Yamaha one, same problem.

It now gives me the following reading when I'm just drawing current without the bike idling.

No lights 11.68
lights      11.56
Flickers and lights 11.46

Which is not bad I reckon.