Zumo 660 / T4A / Garmin Maps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi guys and girls  :sip:

So - next Friday the plan is to head down to the Natal Midlands, and ideally go via as much dirt as possible...
Thats where my questions begin...   ???

1st of all...
I see multiple posts saying you cant run T4A and garmin maps at the same time....
Does this mean I cant have both maps on my device at the same time at all?
or... could I have both on my device - but only 1 of them active at a time?

Then the other thing.... T4A vs Garmin Maps...
(bearing in mind I am a GPS n00b when it comes to the actual route planning / getting it to follow the path I want it to follow, and not decide the tar is better / that it should take me through townships etc)  :-[

I hear T4A differentiates between tar and gravel better - and that it has more of the trails / smaller gravel roads etc on it...
is there really THAT much of a difference that it warrants me spending cash on the maps...

or is the Garmin stuff good enough? I'm also seeing posts saying the Garmin maps have significantly improved with time...

Any advice / pointers are welcome...
any links to software / maps etc are just as welcome...
and if anyone has a route between Joburg (Kempton Park area) through to the Natal Midlands - that would be really epic. (though last time I tried that - my GPS *SIGNIFICANTLY* changed the route I thought I had planned... lol)  :p