Not much to report...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Hermanator and myself (with the_wife on the back) popped down to Franshoek on Saturday afternoon... Herm needed to buy some wine, so off we went. That's about it really. Found some dirt which we'll be going back to explore ;) and found a little water crossing that had us acting like 5 year olds...

Attachments

• DSC02632.jpg
    DSC02632.jpg
    114 KB
  • DSC02633.jpg
    DSC02633.jpg
    120.7 KB
  • wes.jpg
    wes.jpg
    100.5 KB
  • scenery.jpg
    scenery.jpg
    98.4 KB
Ha ha, wine routing Wild Dog style! Found that the K42 topbox easily holds a box with 6 bottles of wine.

Haute Cabriere was our destination. Haute Cabriere is one of the oldest wine estates in SA and dates back to 1692 when the permit was given to a French Hugenot refugee by the name of Pierre Jourdan. Built into the mountainside, the cellers maintain a steady 18 degree celsius temperature, irrespective of the temperatures outside.

Dining at Haute Cabriere is an experience. Foods are prepared in classic French style with Poultry and game featured on the menu. Of course, your gastronomic session is complemented by wine, perfectly selected to complement your meal. I, of course, was after a delicious little number I had had the pleasure to be acquainted with on my last visit.

1) Tranquille, a gentle wine without the lively bubbles that made Pierre Jourdan famous. However, the blend is nearly the same, 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir.

2) The 2nd was Arnim Sauvignon Rouge, this unique blend consists of 57% Cabernet Sauvignon blended with 43% Sauvignon Blanc. Taken from the wine description, "The inherent characteristics of the cultivars of this blend create a dangerously enjoyable red wine to be enjoyed with pasta, game fish and red meat, due to its rewarding firm finish". Yum!

So, as Wes suggests, in our tour of the Capes finest vinters, next week we shall take the tyre compressors and set the GPS to take us on a route via the lakes. The selection of route choices to off-road promises to be hugely exciting.

Lawrence

Hermanator said:
Ha ha, wine routing Wild Dog style! Found that the K42 topbox easily holds a box with 6 bottles of wine.

Haute Cabriere was our destination. Haute Cabriere is one of the oldest wine estates in SA and dates back to 1692 when the permit was given to a French Hugenot refugee by the name of Pierre Jourdan. Built into the mountainside, the cellers maintain a steady 18 degree celsius temperature, irrespective of the temperatures outside.

Dining at Haute Cabriere is an experience. Foods are prepared in classic French style with Poultry and game featured on the menu. Of course, your gastronomic session is complemented by wine, perfectly selected to complement your meal. I, of course, was after a delicious little number I had had the pleasure to be acquainted with on my last visit.

1) Tranquille, a gentle wine without the lively bubbles that made Pierre Jourdan famous. However, the blend is nearly the same, 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir.

2) The 2nd was Arnim Sauvignon Rouge, this unique blend consists of 57% Cabernet Sauvignon blended with 43% Sauvignon Blanc. Taken from the wine description, "The inherent characteristics of the cultivars of this blend create a dangerously enjoyable red wine to be enjoyed with pasta, game fish and red meat, due to its rewarding firm finish". Yum!

So, as Wes suggests, in our tour of the Capes finest vinters, next week we shall take the tyre compressors and set the GPS to take us on a route via the lakes. The selection of route choices to off-road promises to be hugely exciting.

Lawrence

Stop it already - it's lunch time and I'm hungry and thirsty!

hmmm... time for my second confession...

My first was... "I dont like rugby"...

and now....

I dont drink wine...

So all this fluity, earthy..blah... blah... warra warra.. means absolutely nothing to me..

I like beer..if you wanna treat me, take me for a Bacon & Cheese burger (no not that shit from steers) or a Steak....and a litre of beer..

Sorry for the 9/11

Here's a few more pics,

The first shows how a VStrom handles water, I'm then found grinning at the success of the day where I found both wine and water and then, grea friends, Wes and Celeste. Great company and excellent fun to be with. Thanks guys a great day.

Lawrence

Attachments

• Loz River Crossing 2 resized.JPG
    Loz River Crossing 2 resized.JPG
    212 KB
  • Lawrence at Cabriere resized.JPG
    Lawrence at Cabriere resized.JPG
    186.3 KB
  • Wes and C at Cabriere REsized.JPG
    Wes and C at Cabriere REsized.JPG
    187.2 KB
Up here we do Shebeen Runs.

You guys should do Wine Tasting Runs. :biggrin:

Nice! Beautiful scenery.

I''m going down to Stellenbosh on 18 Aug. Staying at L Avenir Lodge/Wine Farm and then two nights at some other place.

acting like 5 year olds...

Hey that's what I like about DS'ing it brings out the kid in me, wait till you get on a Xchallenge, the moment you get on you get that "I wana cause some sh1te..." feeling  O0

growweblaar said:
Hey, Herm, what happened to the_suit?

index.php

This is my Hein Gericke touring suit which I use for commuting. Would've worn the other suit if I had known we were actually going to go off-road.  :D

Lawrence

"Built into the mountainside, the cellers maintain a steady 18 degree celsius temperature, irrespective of the temperatures outside."

Are you certain about the 18 degree C?  Between 13 & 15 degrees is generally accepted for laying down wine.  I run my wine cupboard at 15 in the belief that it will age faster at 15 vs 13 & therefore will be better aged when I drink it since it isn't in there for very long.  Hence my interest in 18 degrees.  Is there a separate cellar at Haute Cabriere for aging wine?

When given the talk by Achim, the landlord of Cabriere, I'm quite positive that he said 18 degrees but I do stand to correction. Guess either you or I will now be forced into making a trip to Cabriere again!  ;D

The celler is below ground reached via winding steps down from the entrance. The vats are all oak, costing about R7,000 each, with the oak imported from France.

There's an interesting story about the oak vats themselves. Each vat is made from the wood from one tree. A family, from the region, will grow and nurture a tree till the time it is ready for life as a vat. The family will then invite the buyers around (during the season) and they will then bid for that family's tree. Each vat is apparantly marked specifically which means that, by rights, you can trace the origin of your wine to its barrel, then trace the barrel to the exact location in rance where the tree was felled. Visit www.cabriere.co.za for more information.

Cheers

Lawrence

Wes,
is something wrong because I see you smilling?  >:D >:D >:D
index.php

Attachments

• wes.jpg
    wes.jpg
    14.4 KB

Latest posts