SANI solo makes you modest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wasp

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
Me and my dear pillion left for SANI very early on 29 May 09. Was freezing past Harrismith and computer registered minus six! I now know that heated grips doesn’t really work  at that temps.  That’s what WIMPY Mega coffee is for. Remove the gloves and heat your hands around that...not while you’re driving.  We arrived safe at Karmichael Guest house just outside Himville  on a farm 1.6km from SANI turnoff. Fantastic place to stay!https://www.karmichaelfarm.co.za/
I did the tyre pressure thing and went up solo. Absolutely fantastic but did realise the GS8 is rather heavy when the rubber-side is up and the gravel moves under your feet.   

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat just not alone... or maybe.  Will rather join other Wild Dogs when they go up. More fun if you’re not the only one that gets a drop, and there is help at hand when it happens to you.

What did I learn from my experience? Two things. 
Momentum is everything but it is not always your choice.  I had to stop more than once for ascending traffic to go pas and one of those 4X4 taxis was all over the road. He did smile and apologise. That is where I had two drops. As a kortgat getting away again is tough when the loose rock give way under the tyres.  Having said that they know how to handle their specially imported  4X4 taxis full of people that actually sleeps whilst on SANI. Yep, true story I saw it. 

Secondly I learned that to fall is not the end of it. Yes I swear, and then I panic and then I  pray and then I’m up again and then I smile. Wonder if somebody can make me training wheels...

I did experience loneliness like never before, but it was something that enhances spiritual growth, as any wild-dog knows.

Two things you should never ever do SANI without is crash bars and hand protectors. Thank you Peter and thank you  Kurt!

The last 1-km of SANI is bad. A tour operator said he never saw SANI in this state, ever. I won’t know if it is true since it’s my first time.

This was training for me.  I was not good, I did fall, lots, but I learned a lot. Next time my technique  will be a bit better.

Attachments

• kan seker nie erger nie.jpg
    kan seker nie erger nie.jpg
    124.9 KB
  • klippe snotglad.jpg
    klippe snotglad.jpg
    132 KB
  • Met ys ja met ys.jpg
    Met ys ja met ys.jpg
    109 KB
  • Oeps.jpg
    Oeps.jpg
    114.5 KB
  • ons blyplek onder sani.jpg
    ons blyplek onder sani.jpg
    109.8 KB
Well done on attempting and finishing it solo :thumleft:

Also kudos for sharing your "offs"

Here's to next time :thumleft: :ricky: :thumleft:

Well done, its a good experience, Sani - and nice pics.

Just post again on this thread with another 5 pics, and so on

Nice one - looking forward to the rest of the pics - enjoying the story so far! :thumleft:

Great stuff on doing Sani Solo.   :thumleft:

If you open a Photobucket account and load your pics to photobucket you can put links to them in your ride report. Then you can add more than five pics, and you can have text between your pics.

Leon

Well done Wasp. I am planning on going there in two weeks time. How long did it take you from Johannesburg to Himeville, and how long would it take to go straight to Sani? 

nice one very brave to do it alone...  :thumleft:

eSKaPe said:
Well done, its a good experience, Sani - and nice pics.

Just post again on this thread with another 5 pics, and so on

Attachments

• let the games begin.jpg
    let the games begin.jpg
    58.4 KB
  • klippetjies soek knobbies.jpg
    klippetjies soek knobbies.jpg
    127.7 KB
  • ek begin worry.jpg
    ek begin worry.jpg
    125.5 KB
  • en ek klim.jpg
    en ek klim.jpg
    86.6 KB
  • passport chubbed.jpg
    passport chubbed.jpg
    107.1 KB
lightning1 said:
Well done Wasp. I am planning on going there in two weeks time. How long did it take you from Johannesburg to Himeville, and how long would it take to go straight to Sani? 

Six hours to Himville if you do no gravel. Up Sani is another 1,-hour if the border post is not busy. Try to avoid weekend up the pass since the 4X4's makes it difficult. Just do it and have fun.

Brings back fond memories. Have only done it in a car to date
The Pig is too heavy for my limited exp.
Maybe later

Well Done!

Attachments

• S6003904.jpg
    S6003904.jpg
    90.7 KB
  • S6004000.jpg
    S6004000.jpg
    116.1 KB
  • verkeerde tyres virrie job.jpg
    verkeerde tyres virrie job.jpg
    134.5 KB
  • Waaaw!.jpg
    Waaaw!.jpg
    74.1 KB
  • S6003960.jpg
    S6003960.jpg
    117.1 KB
NICE one!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Can't wait for my trip up there in July!!

post some more pics!!!

Scrat said:

post some more pics!!!

July? Dress snuggly!!!!!

The Wasp said:
Scrat said:

post some more pics!!!

July? Dress snuggly!!!!!

Attachments

• S6003914.jpg
    S6003914.jpg
    114.2 KB
  • S6003980.jpg
    S6003980.jpg
    116.8 KB
  • S6003973.jpg
    S6003973.jpg
    112 KB
  • S6003985.jpg
    S6003985.jpg
    103.8 KB
  • Alles die moeite werd.jpg
    Alles die moeite werd.jpg
    32.2 KB
Well done. I will be doing it solo in September

Nice!!! I'd like to take my wife up there. Inspiring...mmm...any KZN'ers want to do a two up trip up there?

Well done!  Letting some air out those tyres would help on the loose stuff at the top.  Just watch for the front - the 800 seems to be in competition with the 990's when it comes to bent front rims....