Bunking work on a Friday - Ride Reports!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissie B

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
It was all Draadwerk's fault...  :eek:
He said he was going to be in Barberton on Friday, why don't we go for a bike ride... Bosparra and I were keen on the idea, but I only got the confirmation for the ride on Friday at about 10h00.  So I quickly organised the house & office, got my bike kit on and left to meet Bosparra at the Lovely Jubley outside Barberton, where Draadwerk was supposed to meet us.  When I got there breakfast was already ordered and Bosparra informed me that Draadwerk had just called him to cancel, he had to urgently get back to Nelspruit.  So now we had to decide, do we cancel too or go for a ride anyway... we actually both had a lot of work to do, but in the end the riding won and we took the gravel road to Kaapsehoop, where we had a cooldrink and watched the horses.   :biggrin:
But since that was such a short ride, we decided to go ride some more.  I mentioned the Noordkapp Road to Bosparra and he was keen to try it.  So we went back the way we came and then onto the R40 for a bit until turning right onto the Noordkaap Road.  
Now the Kaapsehoop road was actually exceptionally good this time, except for a patch of soft stuff that made my tail end wiggle a bit too much for my liking!
But the Noordkaap Road was something else!  It started off bad from the word go and I had to really concentrate to pick a good line so I wouldn't get stuck or moer down.  Everything from rocks to ruts and sometimes just a narrow, raised strip of road to ride on!  Bosparra decided he preferred riding behind me, which made me a bit nervous as I am sooooo damn slow!  I really prefer being at the back, take my time without worrying that I'm irritating my fellow rider(s).  And I bet he was laughing at some of the lines I took... I don't always choose the easiest pieces!  

(Pics - Kaapsehoop)

Attachments

• Kaapsehoop-20130726-00088.jpg
    Kaapsehoop-20130726-00088.jpg
    212.4 KB
  • Kaapsehoop-20130726-00089.jpg
    Kaapsehoop-20130726-00089.jpg
    216.7 KB
More Kaapsehoop pics, I just love those not so wild 'Wild Horses'!  ;D

Attachments

• Kaapsehoop-20130726-00090.jpg
    Kaapsehoop-20130726-00090.jpg
    216.5 KB
  • Kaapsehoop-20130726-00091.jpg
    Kaapsehoop-20130726-00091.jpg
    256.8 KB
  • Kaapsehoop-20130726-00093.jpg
    Kaapsehoop-20130726-00093.jpg
    279.1 KB
Anyway, I was doing ok, but all the time hoping that the road surface would improve, as this was a bit more work than we had anticipated.  And then it got worse!  A farm hand and his front end loader tractor were 'fixing the road'... so suddenly there was a long piece of of road with loose soil, building rubble and rocks.  In horror I stopped to assess the situation, but Bosparra decided to take a chance and go through.  Silly man took the soft side instead of going to the right, where there were some car tracks already.  With a lot of dangerous looking wiggles he got his Adventure through, then parked his bike to come and help me... but I was doing ok, I had decided to back up a bit and go through where the car tracks were, but I used my legs as training wheels, I was too scared to just stand up and go!  I don't like loose stuff!   ::)

So eventually I got through and for some obscure reason decided to stop... dunno why I didn't just ride up to where the GS was parked?  Anyway, silly me stopped and realised too late that my left foot didn't reach the ground, so I fell over in slow motion.  Urgggh there goes my almost 2 years record of not dropping the bike... I never make it to 2 years somehow, I always manage to let her fall just before then!
Fortunately no damages, just a few more scratches to add to the collection.  Thanks Bosparra and farm worker for helping me pick up the Broom...  :thumleft:

After that the road was a lot better and we soon (actually too soon) arrived on the R38 to Kaapmuiden.  There we decided to have a couple of cold ones at Diggers Retreat.  From there it was off to have more drinks and early dinner at Mario's Pub & Grub.

Thanks Bosparra for a lekker day... we must bunk work again some time.  As for Draadwerk... you lost out pal!  Maybe next time  ;)

(Pics - Noordkaap Road, the 1st pic was taken just before I got to where I dropped the bike)

Bosparra, feel free to add any pics you might have taken.

Attachments

• Noordkaap Road  20130726.jpg
    Noordkaap Road 20130726.jpg
    131.8 KB
  • Noordkaap Road-20130726-00094.jpg
    Noordkaap Road-20130726-00094.jpg
    224.4 KB
Aaaaggggggg noooooooo !!!!!!

Why did I have to go and work?

Believe me, if I had a choice I would have been there. Would have loved to see you put down and pick up that broom in the dirt. Seems I missed out on that as well.

Anyway, there is always tomorrow and this coming Friday and Saturday?

Lekker RR btw.

Draadwerk said:
Aaaaggggggg noooooooo !!!!!!

Why did I have to go and work?

Believe me, if I had a choice I would have been there. Would have loved to see you put down and pick up that broom in the dirt. Seems I missed out on that as well.

Anyway, there is always tomorrow and this coming Friday and Saturday?

Lekker RR btw.

Unfortunately I won't be here next weekend, going on tar to da Beeg City... not my fav place, but got a party and other stuff to sort out.

And tomorrow I have to try to do some work for a change!  ::)

BTW, did you read my CT Solo trip RR? : https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=118109.0

Thanks for sharing your "Day Off Work" with us. :ricky:

Really love those horses in the first few photos. Glad that nothing more that a few scratches on you bike, happened...from your little "loss in traction" ;D ;D

BTW....do you perhaps have the link to the RR you were telling me about of your Epic Trip you did down to CT many year back?? Would really love to read it.

Bring It On said:

Really love those horses in the first few photos. Glad that nothing more that a few scratches on you bike, happened...from your little "loss in traction" ;D ;D

BTW....do you perhaps have the link to the RR you were telling me about of your Epic Trip you did down to CT many year back?? Would really love to read it.

See above... I think you'll enjoy it.  ;D

I go to Kaapsehoop often, just to watch the horses, I have many pics of them!  :3some:

Chrissie B said:
Bring It On said:

See above... I think you'll enjoy it.  ;D

I go to Kaapsehoop often, just to watch the horses, I have many pics of them!  :3some:

Thanks for that....just see your posted the link in my RR as well :lol8: :lol8: :thumleft: Gonna head over to read it now ;) :thumleft:

great little escape :thumleft:
The link to this ride report has been sent to certain bosses.  >:D  :biggrin:

Thanx Chrissie B...it was great fun, plenty more exploring to do!!! Did the "spookdorp" trippie yesterday after golf!  >:D ...you missed out beeeeg time!  :ricky:

great photo,s i started off with the four legged horse power many many many years ago

COLES said:
great photo,s i started off with the four legged horse power many many many years ago

Did you and Dick know David Livingstone ::)  :biggrin:

Bosparra!!!  You didn't tell me you were going to go there!!  And I thought we were friends?  :eek:

Coles... I also started out on the 4 legged horse power!  I still try to find a horse to ride every now and then.  ;D  but it's few and far between.  I did have a quick ride on a little horse in Nieu Bethesda when I was on my CT trip.  8)

This looks Lekker!!!

Any chance of a GPS file for the Noordkaap road? I am heading that way in September (4x4 sadly - too many passengers for the GSA) and I wouldn't mind wandering around that area a while - I don't know it too well.....

Cheers!

CT

...do not fret dear "broomflyer"...you did darn goooood!!!  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Heksie.jpg
    Heksie.jpg
    482.8 KB
Funny how in a photo it never looks as daunting as it was in real life! 

Climbing Turtle... we don't use GPS, we just pick a road and go!  It's easy to find though, the Noordkaap Road goes off the R40 between Nelspruit and Barberton and comes out near the R38 between Barberton and Kaapmuiden.  It has no turn off's, so you just stay on that road. 

Chrissie B said:
Funny how in a photo it never looks as daunting as it was in real life! 

Climbing Turtle... we don't use GPS, we just pick a road and go!  It's easy to find though, the Noordkaap Road goes off the R40 between Nelspruit and Barberton and comes out near the R38 between Barberton and Kaapmuiden.  It has no turn off's, so you just stay on that road. 

OK - got it - thanks!

Lekka.....impromtu knobbly tyre therapy NEVER hurts anyone....nice one guys!

Tomorrow is Friday!....Bunking time again.  :thumleft:

Kom kom Draatie...are you in on this?

Bosparra said:
Tomorrow is Friday!....Bunking time again.  :thumleft:

Kom kom Draatie...are you in on this?

Hey hey. Verseker. Lees jou PM. Het vanoggend al planne gemaak !!!