My (almost) new ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailBlazer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Eventually... I have succeeded in procuring a ride that suits my pocket, as well as being in excellent condition. Until now all I've had to get around with is a choice of two cages, and it has been with longing that I have read (and enjoyed) most of the posts on this board.

I haven't been very active, mainly because I've been locked out at work, because of "high usage", by our Mighty IT department  :mad: , and have to rely on a cellphone connection to stay abreast of happenings.

On Friday evening while enjoying a bit of the good stuff, a feeling came over me to log in and see what was available in the buy/sell section. Just a few posts down, and this is what jumped out and hit me between the eyes.

I called the owner (Miklus) who is active on the Think Bike forum, and went to have a look on Saturday afternoon. I liked what I saw, and said bike became mine.

I didn't ride over the weekend, as I wanted it on my insurance before going anywhere, so left it standing in the garage until this morning.

I've just returned from a 60km ride (my first ride in more than 15 years), and am suitably impressed with the bike. My butt took a bit of strain (not acustomed to a hard seat), but the rest of me feels ok. One thing I've still got to learn is to lean into a corner... trying to do square turns is NOT a good idea.

The bike will be used mostly for commuting, and occasional weekend rides as and when time (and money) permits.  Maybe this puppy can start running with the older pack members now  :)

Performance wise: It gets to 100 with ease, and is quite happy to putter around at 60 - 70. Overtaking requires a change of cog, if it's to be done with alacrity, or just bending the ear if I'm in no hurry. Fuel consumption is reputed to be in the region of 33 - 37 k/litre.

It's a 2005 model, and has 6200 km on the clock. No visible damage / marks / scratches on the bike, and full (as much as can be done in 6000km) service record.

Time she is getting short... I've got to get ready to go to work, so will add to first impressions later.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 176