Lighter Bike - Yes or No??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
This must have been discussed many times before, maybe even by myself, apologies if yet another boring Thread then.

I'm reading LOTS of Threads with people utterly enjoying their lighter bikes @dieseldawie and his wife, @Jacobsroodt , @Tommy Transalp , and LOTS more happy Lighter Bike Riders.

1) Did most of you Guys come from bigger bikes, example DR650 or even bigger KTM and BM's, and after a while just decided to go smaller/lighter??
2) What are your main reasons for going lighter (whether you had bigger or this is just your choice from the start)........Weight? Handling? Ease of Maintenance, perhaps?? Pricing, perhaps?? Or just plain the "feeling" that a lighter bike gives you?
3) Are any of you gatvol for swopping your, say, DR 650 or GS for that, say, 250 or 300 Honda CRF?? (Honestly.........??)
4) Then.......A lighter bike, with, say, 2 soft panniers and some camping stuff (but still light - I dont take the hairdryer) - is this suitable enough for, say, a 1000 km weekend trip, probably mixed riding, let's say 50/50 (although in my case I'd very probably be 70 or 80% tar).......??
5) Do you use your "lighter bike" more often on day to to day and/or weekend quickies than you did your bigger bike??

I've had this thingie in my head for a while now, hence all the questions.

BUT ja, I'd have to "give up" my 2 current old bikes, both which I really REALLY enjoy immensely.

BUT ja, also, a new lighter something like a 300 Honda would be VERY nice - IF it fits my intended use.

THANKS