DT 175: to buy or not to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prototype

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
So, from what i read on the great interweb the DT seems like an indestructable, reliable light weight bike that can handle pretty much any terrain, it has a low seat height and is not geared as strongly as other smokers. This all sounds like a pretty good deal for a beginners bike for my wife. She is quite short. And it would be a lekker little play thing for me to hone my slow skills.

I took it for a spin just now and must say i think the bike will suit her needs perfectly. It is not that powerful as i would have expected from a smoker and has good low rev control. We live in Swakop and the selection of bikes up here is not the always best. Twice we have come across good deals for 4 stroke 125 or 250's but then the seller never pulls through on the day.

There is a 2008 model (i think) with 6 000 km for R23k at the bike shop here in town. The bike was previously owned by an mech engineer who took meticulous care of the machine and it it is spotless.

Is there anyone with some/any experience with these bikes that can vouch for the population of web users? And is this a fair price for this bike? And do they keep their resale value?

Shot