Buying an 890 Adv R from KTM Cape Town

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steildraai

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
When I joined the forum at the beginning of May I was actively looking at buying a motorcycle. I had already decided on getting a KTM/Husqvarna/GASGAS, but I was flipflopping between different models. In the end I settled on trying to get a used 890 Adventure R or Norden 901.

I made some calls and even visited a dealer on two occasions; the lack of commitment by some who never bothered to phone back after I had shown serious buying interest surprised me at the time. No problem though since events have a way of working out better than expected.

One evening I had a brainwave to do an Alfie Cox Racing internet search, and low and behold he had a 2021 890 Adv R available for sale on his website. I contacted him the next day via WhatsApp and his lovely wife soon replied. The legend himself phoned me a little later and explained that the bike had been sold, subject to finance. He offered an alternative; a bike that a friend wanted to trade on a new 890 Adv R, subject to approval from his live-in minister of finance. It was the most wonderful experience talking for what felt like hours to Alfie about bikes. It soon transpired that I wouldn't be able to buy either bike since finance came through for nr 1 and the finance minister vetoed the sale of nr 2. Alfie was (completely needlessly) apologetic and IMMEDIATELY set out to find me a bike somewhere else. He found two 2021 models available from KTM Cape Town and sent a message asking them to contact me. What INCREDIBLE service!

Less than five minutes after Alfie's message Clinton Pienaar of KTM Cape Town phoned me from the NAMPO trade show. I had met Clinton in 2020 when he was at KTM Paarl and he made a great impression on me and my wife. He moved to Cape Town KTM in February, so my timing turned out to be spot on. We had a lovely conversation and I decided there and then on one of the 2021 bikes. To sweeten the deal Clinton included the 15,000 km/annual service in the deal.

I flew down to Cape Town on a Friday and Clinton kindly picked me up from the airport. We had a great chat on the way to the dealership and I spent a lovely morning with the kind people of KTM Cape Town, leaving much later then I had planned. I bought a new helmet from them too, so I also had the pleasure of a crystal clear visor to enjoy the trip home. I honestly cannot commend Cape Town KTM highly enough. They are fantastic; also evidenced by the number of bikers just dropping in for a chat and a coffee. There are some negative comments about the dealership on the internet, but it all predates the current group of people.

And then there's the bike... what a machine! After riding mostly BMWs since 2002 (GS with a smattering of RT and R thrown in for good measure) I am so happy to have switched to a bike that is so incredibly capable in the dirt. Where I once endured gravel on the GS (and usually tried to avoid it) I now go on dirt exclusive rides. This is the bike I should have been on for my white knuckle Namibia trips! "Flood Damage" warnings have become an invitation to see if I can find a surface that can challenge the R just a little. With heated grips, quick shifter and cruise control it makes for a pretty comfortable cruising bike as well. I'm 1.93 m and the size is just perfect.

I purposely waited a few weeks before giving feedback so that the initial euphoria of the purchasing experience and the bike itself could wear off a little to allow for a more balanced report. However, I still can't think of anything negative and if the past few weeks are an indication of my future KTM ownership experience, then I'm on the best ride of my life.

IMG_6156 (1).jpeg