FYI Stuck in deep sand, dead battery, no jumpers, no kickstart...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Went riding with a friend in Atlantis yesterday.

Late in the day when we were tired and had had enough fun I got us stuck in a bowl trying to find the exit. I got out but my buddy who chose this day to debut on sand didn’t, so I was going to ride his bike out. Unfortunately, this was when his battery decided it had had enough.

So, worst case scenario just became reality. Pushing or pulling is not an option at all. We didn’t have jumper cables. I knew that if I went to look I might be able to find a 4x4 to beg a helping hand but I had another plan I was keen to try before we called the 4x4’s

I often ride in the dunes and this very scenario had crossed my mind often. What to do?

Well, I found this works really well;

You need to get both bikes onto their centre stands without the rear on the ground. Pretty tricky in deep sand. So, find anything solid to put under the dead bikes centre stand. You need to almost lie the bike over to get something under the one side, then once that’s done, tip the bike onto the other side and put another solid what ever under the other leg.

Then ride the good bike so that you are near enough to being able to get the rear tires to touch with both bikes facing away from each other. Bum to bum

Now the hard part, you need to get the good bike up on its centre stand too, also getting something solid under there. We used sticks. Try to get the knobs of the one tire to touch the others. We had them almost side by side so that the side knobs were interlocking.

523155216_MRqac-L.jpg

Then turn the dead bike on (kill switch too), get it into second gear pull in the clutch. Start the good bike, into first gear and let out the clutch slowly.

The good bikes rear will spin up the dead bikes rear within a few seconds. The dead bikes rider then dumps his clutch and hey presto! 

We’re outa here!