Turksvy Tour - One segment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCrouch

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Out riding this week en I notice how many prickly pear plants grow in the road median... so this weekend I plan to do the Prickly pear route around Bloem... will try and take pictures of as may as I can...  :mwink:
No fixed route planned as such but will be leaving from the Caltex in Langenhoven Park.
Most likely Saturday morning.
Will post exact info later on this week.

Is nou hoeka sy tyd, ek wag in spanning vir my eerste kind om te verstop!

:imaposer: Ja I left out the suggestion of sampling along the way... that could lead to later problems...
Although ATGATT is perfect attire to assault these plants with, in one's quest for that big fat prickly pear! :deal: :mwink:

RobC said:
... in one's quest for that big fat prickly pear! :deal: :mwink:
Reminds me of my army days, which I did at 6 SAI in Grahamstown.

The training area was overrun with prickly pears. There was nothing better than knocking a few off the leaves, rolling them around in the grass, and then peeling and eating them. Lekker, sun-warmed and juicy.

Also, when going on weekend pass, I used to stop along the way towards East London, and the picaninnies who sold them along the road would rush off in fright when I climbed out the car in uniform.

I always paid the going rate, which I negotiated at long-distance, as they were too scared to come closer.

i guess they were often ripped off / beaten up by more unscrupulous troepies.

RobC said:
Out riding this week en I notice how many prickly pear plants grow in the road median... so this weekend I plan to do the Prickly pear route around Bloem... will try and take pictures of as may as I can...  :mwink:
No fixed route planned as such but will be leaving from the Caltex in Langenhoven Park.
rob...would you keep your camera poised for sunflowers also? they should be flowering now? ;D

laurika said:
RobC said:
Out riding this week en I notice how many prickly pear plants grow in the road median... so this weekend I plan to do the Prickly pear route around Bloem... will try and take pictures of as may as I can...  :mwink:
rob...would you keep your camera poised for sunflowers also? they should be flowering now? ;D
They are all in the growing stage here... the ones I have seen so far but will do. :thumleft:

RobC said:
laurika said:
RobC said:
They are all in the growing stage here... the ones I have seen so far but will do. :thumleft:
when they do flower...please let me know..and we will arrange a Sunflower Tour....should be great pics for a RR

TrailBlazer said:
RobC said:
... in one's quest for that big fat prickly pear! :deal: :mwink:
Reminds me of my army days, which I did at 6 SAI in Grahamstown.

The training area was overrun with prickly pears. There was nothing better than knocking a few off the leaves, rolling them around in the grass, and then peeling and eating them. Lekker, sun-warmed and juicy.

Also, when going on weekend pass, I used to stop along the way towards East London, and the picaninnies who sold them along the road would rush off in fright when I climbed out the car in uniform.

I always paid the going rate, which I negotiated at long-distance, as they were too scared to come closer.

i guess they were often ripped off / beaten up by more unscrupulous troepies.
Oudtshoorn also had a few patches...

laurika said:
when they do flower...please let me know..and we will arrange a Sunflower Tour....should be great pics for a RR
Cool... I will just take my antihistamines along... I have to stay away from them otherwise my eyes swell shut. :mwink: :imaposer:

This is differant,prickly pair route.nice.
You should go to road bike  and Harley rallys,you are guaranteed to see many mobile ones. ::)

You know of course that the young cadidodes (flat bits of the PP that people call leaves) actually make quite good eating. Take your pocket knife with. Find a young light green cadidode and cut away the 2mm or so outer skin. The inside light green juicy (and at first touch somewhat slimy feeling) cake is good to eat. Contains a lot of moisture and will stave of thirst and give a nutrional equivelant roughly between beans and cabbage.

When I take guys on survival hunts they look at me sceptically but when the thirst comes they try it and like it. Then in addition you can cook a mean green bean curry (minus beans plus prickly pear) stew from the same bits you cut out above. The older thick cadidoes are quite edible but become hard and stringy and not pleasant to chew at all. So stick to the young cadidodes.

Last thing. There are a few species. The Ficus Indica is the one we eat the fruit of but it's cadidodes are not the best to eat. The less tasty fruiting variety that bears purple fruit has more juicy cadidodes.  :thumleft:

SlowPoke said:
You know of course that the young cadidodes (flat bits of the PP that people call leaves) actually make quite good eating. Take your pocket knife with. Find a young light green cadidode and cut away the 2mm or so outer skin. The inside light green juicy (and at first touch somewhat slimy feeling) cake is good to eat. Contains a lot of moisture and will stave of thirst and give a nutrional equivelant roughly between beans and cabbage.

When I take guys on survival hunts they look at me sceptically but when the thirst comes they try it and like it. Then in addition you can cook a mean green bean curry (minus beans plus prickly pear) stew from the same bits you cut out above. The older thick cadidoes are quite edible but become hard and stringy and not pleasant to chew at all. So stick to the young cadidodes.

Last thing. There are a few species. The Ficus Indica is the one we eat the fruit of but it's cadidodes are not the best to eat. The less tasty fruiting variety that bears purple fruit has more juicy cadidodes.  :thumleft:
We were taught the same on survival course at 1SAI, handy to make water from as well using a solar still. Hole in the ground, lot of mashed up prickly pear/vygie, fire bucket in center, sheet of plastic over the hole with a pebble to center it over the fire bucket (army drinking cup for the uninitiated) and voila half a liter of water in about an hour or two.

RobC said:
GRUNT said:
Very interesting! The amount of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me
Very often better than Google! Definitely more entertaining! :thumleft: :mwink:
there are a few dishes in mexico that,s made with the leaves/cadidodes of the prickly pear..as well as a drink and jam from the flowers...

laurika said:
there are a few dishes in mexico that,s made with the leaves/cadidodes of the prickly pear..as well as a drink and jam from the flowers...
This fruit is also from the same family... Dragon Fruit! :thumleft:
The cactus family is very varied in shape and form. Most only flower at night too. All the ones with purple/red fruit stain skin and clothes rather well.

Attachments

• 100_8893 (Medium).JPG
    100_8893 (Medium).JPG
    42.7 KB
Some places that will be visited... Hagesdam, Wurasoord, Soetdoring, De Brug, Rusfontein, Maselspoort... not in that order though;

Attachments

• de brug environs.JPG
    de brug environs.JPG
    51.5 KB
  • hagesdam environs.JPG
    hagesdam environs.JPG
    68.4 KB
  • maselspoort environs.JPG
    maselspoort environs.JPG
    58.8 KB
  • rusfontein environs.JPG
    rusfontein environs.JPG
    65.5 KB
  • soetdoring modder environs.JPG
    soetdoring modder environs.JPG
    61 KB
Thinking of swinging past the old farm too at Tierpoort.

Attachments

• tierpoort environs.JPG
    tierpoort environs.JPG
    72.2 KB
  • wurasoord environs.JPG
    wurasoord environs.JPG
    69.5 KB
Looks like Saturday's planned jaunt may be canned by the weather! :xxbah:
https://www.weatherphotos.co.za/rain_wxmaps_sixdays.html