My odometer stopped working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Adventure

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So the other day both my odometer and trip meter stopped working, at 86Kkm+ that might be such a bad thing :mwink:
The problem is keeping record of services and I use the trip meter a lot.

First thing I did was to remove the speedometer and pry the lens cover off

01OpenSpeedo.jpg

To do this without showing signs that the speedo has been worked on is impossible as a DIY job.

02Speedoopen.jpg

I have often thought of doing this in the past because that annoying dust that gets in and settles on the black background has bothered me from day one, but to tamper with the speedometer always has an effect on the resale of the bike. :(

So while it's open I was determined to cure the cause of dust getting in.
What I found is that this seal wasn't seated properly

03Sealseat.jpg

And this shows that it's clear where the dust comes in

04Dustentry.jpg

And this is how bad it looks inside

05Dirtinside.jpg

Anyway I'll get to that with the reassembly, I turned the speedometer over to find the culprit  to why the speedo worked but  not the odometer. I think this is a combination of dust and insufficient lubricant on the gear over time.

06Theproblem.jpg

I then needed to bend open the rear plate just a bit to release the tapered gear. I then build it up with some epoxy.

07Thesolution.jpg

And once the epoxy had hardened I Dremeled the splines open again.

Assembly was the revers and just took a small hammer to the rim of the lens which was covered with a cloth to minimise marking the black service.

It is however as clear as day that the speedometer has been opened but that is why I took picture of the mileage for reference one day.

To prevent dust from entering again I fitted the seal as best I could and also added a spaces to the trip-meter's resetting wheel causing a tight seal on that shaft. (sorry by this time it was pretty late last night and I didn't take more pictures.