1150 Problem - Advice needed Please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Plain_Dan

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Ok, so this morning on the way back from Harties I noticed a worrying new noise on my beloved GS.

When I accelerate suddenly from example 80km/h in 6th gear there is 'n loud noise coming from the engine which almost sounds like a loose nut or something flying around in there (ping pong style) then as soon as I get to 120 it goes quiet.
It doesn't happen when rolling on the throttle slowly, only when whacking it wide open quickly. Its not speed related, but how quickly you open the throttle at low rpm. Acceleration from example 30km/h in 3rd does the same thing if you open it quickly but not when just rolling the throttle open slowly. So its more like opening the throttle wide at lets say about 2500rpm.
The sound is not the normal "ping" you get when accelerating too hard at too low revs. This is a new noise for sure, I think best way to describe it would be to say putting 3 big nuts in a metal coffee tin and shakeing it voilently!

The bike has 70 000km on the clock and had a oil  and filter and plugs change at 63 000km when I bought it a month ago.

Any clever ideas where to start looking?