1150GS silencer (not so silent anymore) on my 1100GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Scorch (Berzerker) fitted a standard 1150GS silencer (no CAT) to my 1100GS. Before I had this done, I modified the silencer's airflow  (someone posted a handy link on WD once of how to do this), in order for it to be a bit louder. The airflow inside the silencer is basically re-directed in order for it to exit through the silencer directly, without passing through the chambers inside the silencer. (Ok, so that probably means that it is not so standard anymore......however, it still looks standard). The whole idea behind this "conversion" was because with the standard 1100GS exhaust system, one could hardly hear the bike (and the thing weighs a ton too!).

I am fairly impressed with the sound when opening up the throttle (therefore struggling to stick to the speed limit  ;D). Although quite loud when giving it some gas, I was surprised at how quiet the bike runs at 120km/h with a  steady throttle.

The revs dropped from 1100rpm (with standard system fitted) at idle to about 950rpm. I attempted to increace the idling speed but was not successfull (although the throttle bodies are perfectly balanced). I will give it another shot over the weekend.

I pulled the (cream/beige) decoding plug under the seat. Couldnt notice any difference in the ride with or without the plug fitted, however, without the plug the exhaust seems a bit sooty (indication of running slightly rich.....which is better than lean I suppose??). Will check CO levels too at some stage.

Overall I am happy with my new "aftermarket" system which only cost me R1500.

Attachments

• 20140731_171202.jpg
    20140731_171202.jpg
    484.8 KB
  • 20140731_171149.jpg
    20140731_171149.jpg
    387.5 KB