1200 broken rear shock EWS alarm starter problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outhere

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
2 or 3 months ago I had a problem pulling my GS 1200 onto its centre stand couldnot work it out
when replacing rear tyre saw the rear shock was wobbling around cant believe I did not feel the shock was not attached. Going to get this welded in the morrow hope all works out.

For at least 6 months now Ive had to turn my handle bars to the left to start my bike otherwise a EWS alarm would come up on LED display and bike would not turn over.Every now and then even if handle bar was turned to the left alarm still showed time to investigate obvious break in wire had checked all plugs etc.  Stripped wiring harness from key backwards and while tugging one thin white and light blue wire came loose problem solved.

For at least a month now on occasions when pushing start button motor would not turn over starter did sound as if it was turning . Took off starter and took too a back yard auto sparky
placed starter in vice put 12 volts onto it and it worked fine . He then held a wooden block on the small gear in front to simulate a load and was able to stop gear told me Bendix was gone and could not help my 2004 model is not a sealed unit but dealer off the top of head said 2800 for new Bendix and about 8000 for new starter . Local auto electricians can repair for around 300 so that is where it is. Will up date when back in bike and tested.

Hope some of this helps someone one day.

Attachments

• DSC00398.jpg
    DSC00398.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC00399.jpg
    DSC00399.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00400.jpg
    DSC00400.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 141