2008 KLR650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goby

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi Fellow Dust Eaters,

I am new to this site and very new to off-roading. After riding through the Baviaans Kloof in a Hummer, I decided it would be the last time, in a car, that is! Then I watched the DVD of "Long Way Round". Big mistake! A plan was made to get a bike, as my current GSX-R750 would not be up to the task. Shopped around for a 2005-2006 KLR650, could not find a nice one. (I do not like scratches and dents) Bought a 2008 KLR in June this year, dropped it 3 days later, minor damage, but saved from scratches and dents by my girlfriends left leg. Good girl!
Been to Hogsback recently, and everything changed! The GSX-R750 spends much more time in the garage! The biggest change was in my pillion. Brought the bike home on the Tuesday night, she was not impressed. Did not like the skinny wheels and the "insides hanging out". Used to the covered up engine of the superbike, you see. Well, she had to get on the bike immediately, as the car was still parked at work, and we had to get to a place urgently. The first bit of traffic provided the opportunity to jump a pavement, that was impressive, but still the superbike was my pillion's favourite. Well, got a Oxford tailpack, rode to Hogsback for the weekend, and had a great time on the perfect KLR. My pillion was totally surprised at the comfort and performance of the KLR in the dirt. Got back safely and started planning a trip to De Rust. I decided my pillion should pick the bike for the trip. After discussing the options and the places to see, she said without hesitation: "I think we should take the KLR!!!" Now that, my friends, is how Kawasaki just blew the competition out the dirt!! Brilliant bike!