2012 KTM 300 E-XC Starting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bike has been standing for just on a month, due to the arrival of our baby girl, (number 2). SWAMBO has banned the bike for a little while.

Anyway, I took the opportunity to give it a good clean etc. While it was standing, I raised it off its suspension, drained the fuel, made sure the carb was dry, disconnected the battery etc.

Today, I put everything back together to prepare for a ride on Saturday 14th. I filled the tank, connected the battery, checked all the usual stuff everything seemed 100%.

I never use the starter for a cold start, so I gave it a good kick and on the third boot, she fired up perfectly. Took her for a short warm up around the block, and had a MLOT and stalled pulling into the driveway. Since she was warm, I selected neutral, hit the starter button and was greeted with a "click....bzzz" sound from under the seat and nothing happened. I tried again and the same result.

Used the kick starter, no problems, she fires up on first kick.

I initially thought that perhaps the battery was a bit flat, so took the seat off and checked the voltage, I get 12.56V across the terminals.

Tried the starter again and still the same "click .....bzzz" from somewhere near the battery. everything else works, i.e lights, and kill switch.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Where do I start looking? I am going through the trouble shooting guide in the owners manual, but not having much luck there.

Please help :sip: :sip: :sip: