800GS Rear Shock Failure Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanI

Pack Dog
Reaction score
i was riding my 2013 model (23000km) GS today along Canals with a buddy and at a particular intersection I stopped to chat to my mate and we both noticed strange smoke coming from the back of my bike. It had a strange smell as well but is was gone very quickly. I pulled over and had a good around and noticed the area around the base of the shock wet with oil. This didn't look like it was weeping or a small leak, there was a lot of oil and my impression was the the shock popped properly. I was happy to ride it slowly home but phoned BMW on call and they said no. Ended up riding 17km into Brits and waited to get picked up. Dropped the bike at Clearwater and this week I guess we see what happened.

I have the ESA version so maybe that has something to do with it. The bike also has the 35mm Hyperpro progressive spring lowering kit. In her 23000km she has done probably 50% off road and some pretty rough stuff but never big jumps.

I was surprised by this happening and tried to find similar occurrences on the forums but there doesn't seem to be much.

Has this happened to anyone else at this mileage on one of these bikes?
Does anyone know if the shock can be fixed of if it has to be replaced?
Thank goodness I still have abt 6 weeks warranty left.

Thanks