A Triumph and an Irish Dutchman tour a bit...and a half in SA - THE END

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willomore2.jpg

The people sure were friendly but they had no faith in the Triumph as DS bike - ''Nee meneer, jy makeer n Bee em dubble U', Karell, se vir die meneer....... :imaposer: :imaposer:

Willomore1.jpg

Willomore3.jpg

Willomore5.jpg

Willomore4.jpg

I had a very nce Brunch and decided to make it for the Baviaans!!  :laughing4:

Baviaans2.jpg

Baviaans5.jpg

Baviaans6.jpg

Baviaans4.jpg

Baviaans39.jpg

Now I don't really have the history or much information and just enjoyed riding and the awesome scenery, A MUST for any DS bike Enthusiast  :deal:

I saw the 'Baviaans key' and 2+2 made 4. They have opened the mountain to the valey.....i think ::)

Baviaans39.jpg

Baviaans8.jpg

Baviaans7.jpg

Baviaans6.jpg

Baviaans10.jpg

Baviaans11.jpg

Baviaans13.jpg

The first sighns of water crossings :laughing4:

Baviaans14.jpg

I have never done water crossings on a bike :eek: , it started of very slowly but I soon started to gain confidince :laughing4:

Baviaans15.jpg

Baviaans16.jpg

Baviaans17.jpg

Baviaans18.jpg

Baviaans19.jpg

Every second or third farm has a guest house :bueller:

Baviaans21.jpg

Baviaans22.jpg

Came accross another 2 Truimphs - aint they pretty?

Baviaans23.jpg

Baviaans24.jpg

Leopard friendly? I was hoping they are Tiger friendly...get it? Thriumph Tiger  ;)

Baviaans25.jpg

This was quite a nice one :laughing4:

Baviaans26.jpg

The water was cristal clear but somewhere around here a farmer stopped next to me and told me that the water gets really deep further on in the valey. It has rained apparently in the highlands somewhere and he told me that I should take care.....since I was all alone and not very confident in the water on a bike I started to think ahead....should I find a place to sleep or should I puch on, maybe go back to George and go to Knysna tomorrow? I was told that Knysna is not really all that good and a bit overrated, but I needed to see for myself! So I rode on....

Baviaans27.jpg

Look at the rock formations

Baviaans28.jpg

Baviaans29.jpg

Baviaans30.jpg

Baviaans30.jpg

Baviaans31.jpg

Baviaans34.jpg

Baviaans36.jpg

The guy at the gate warned me about real deep slow flowing water ahead and here you can see on my bike that I went through quite deep water, no photos though, but I have decided to turn around half way through Baviaans. 108Km from Willomore (roughly) I was told about a BMW bike that drowned and had to be recovered earlier and also rode past the tractor towing a Pajero. According to the guard it has also drowned. I do not know the Baviaans and was worried that if it rain again I will have to stay another day or two, so I decided to turn around and go back to George because as I said earlier, Knysna was still in my wishlist :3some:

Baviaans36.jpg

Baviaans37.jpg

On the way back, don't know where they came from!

Baviaans38.jpg

EndofBaviaans1.jpg

EndofBaviaans2.jpg

EndofBaviaans4.jpg

I hope I will be back one day to complete the Baviaans, it sure is an Awesome experience!!

AccomodationinGeorge.jpg

That night I had the same Pizza, the same beer and another Rondavel in Mountain view George.......Pity I havent met TR, I was honestly too tired for a 'kuier' but its a small world, maybe next time!!

So tommorow is Knysna....wil it really be dull like the people say ???

Finally after years and years of listening to people's stories about Knysna and reading Dalene Matthee's book 'Kringe in die bos' and 'Fiela se kind' the time finally arrived to go see for myself what it is all about. Places like 'die koppe' (the heads) and other came to mind. So I letf early in the morning and followed through the most beautifull wood's (pity it was an asphalt road but still)

Knysna10.jpg

Now I can honestly tell you that the only thing that really impressed me was the woods with the most beautifull old Yellowood trees and other giants as well as other natural fauna and flora from the area. Unfortunately it looked like rain when I left George and the camera was packed away up untill I have reached the harbour at the lagoon. I can kick my own but for not taking the effort but it's unfortunately too late for tears now ;)

Knysna9.jpg

One thing I must say though, Knysna is quite a bit over rated and way more photogenic in the movies than in real live with the exception of the woods. I still want to do some canapy tours down there and further on near the 'storms rivier' bridge....but live is to short to cover all and then nothing is for free ::)

Knysna8.jpg

Played around with the camera at the lagoon and natural harbour

Knysna7.jpg

Knysna6.jpg

Knysna5.jpg

'Hey, get your ducks in a row!!'  :director:

Knysna4.jpg

Knysna3.jpg

Knysna2.jpg

Knysna1.jpg

I left without emotion....unlike Kamieskroon, Jacobsbaai and George - Come to think of it, I really liked George

I wanted to turn aroung and head to Outshoorn in the direction of the Baviaans (I think ??? ) and Hell (I think too  ??? ) but as I rode back towards George a light bulp came on and reminded me of a place I really needed to go and visit....Neu Betesda near Graaf Reinet as well as the Valley of desolation. The Triumph did not need any encouragement and made a 180 degree for Graaf Reinet. Idecided to ride through the Langkloof :laughing4:

Yellowood1.jpg

I stopped at the Stormsrivier bridge, got a Steers meal and sat down and talked 'kak' with Woody1 and Ras' on BBM :lol8:
Look at this cross-cut yellowood  :eek: You can make a nice choppingboard out of it  :peepwall: :peepwall: :pot:

Stormsrivierbrug2.jpg

The bridge where an 'sugar mommy' told me I am a very nice young man and she loves my spirit and if I need anything, accomodation (and so forth  :eek7: ) I can follow her home, her Merc was parked right there at the One stop ......shate I made 4 and a half excuses in a half sentence and left with speed, thanks to Triumph the Traction controll kept the wheels on the asphalt!!  :bueller:

Stormsrivierbrug1.jpg

So I made it for the langkloof, my hart still bouncing in my throat filled with vissions of an kinky old lady dressed in leather  :patch:

Langkloof2-1.jpg

I rode through the Langkloof, a very big farming community and just fruit trees in bloom all over! From there I turned right through a little pass which I think was called 'Katbakkies pass  ??? ) but I just enjoyed it. The freedom of riding was very satisfying - like when you harvest a crop - not that I am a farmer. I would say a lot of us are 'closet farmers', for you are too afraid to come out of the closet for you will get murdered sooner or later as things are nowadays in SA :patch:

Langkloof1-1.jpg

I arrived late in Graaf Reinet and the thing that really struck me was the NG (Dutch Reformed) church. This is (for me at least) the most beautifull church I have ever seen in my life, more than the sandstone one in Vryheid.

GraafReinet1-1.jpg

It was quite late, I started looking for accomodation and discovered the most beautifull guest house of the trip (or room) and awesome people. Highly reccomended if you love things clean, quiet and proffesional. I am very easy going but sometimes it is really nice to run into a place where they still value service!

scan0003.jpg

woody1 said:
Hoe ken jy Vryheid se Klip Kerk..... my geboorte dorp daai... :laughing4:

Baas Kobus ek het lank lank gelede a aster daar gehad...sy was lief daarvoor om saam in my stasiewa te ry :peepwall:

Well done on a great ride and even better Ride Report. JY MAG MAAR!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I came through all the way from George via Knysna through the Langklooff, here is the 'connecting road' to Graaf Reinet :deal:

ConnectingfromLangklooftoUniondaleroad-1.jpg

Very nice road with awesome scenery!

But today I woke up to a beautifull day, a day that will always be with me for like they say; 'it is not the things you did do in life that you regret but rather the things you did not do!' :)

I rode through the main street to take another picture of the Dutchman's church. The famous (world famous) Dominee called Andrew Murry who was abselutely dinamic for his time recided in the Reinet house and preached and worked from here.

GraafReinetNGChurch1-1.jpg

GraafReinetNGChurch2-1.jpg

I rode to the Reinet hous, isn't it stunning  :3some:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry1.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry74.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry70.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry69.jpg

I paid a little fee, think R20 and was allowed to take pictures in a museum...wow!  :thumleft:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry68.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry67.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry66.jpg

Tools of the late 18th century

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry65.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry73.jpg

If you are into Antique furniture this is for you :deal:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry72.jpg

Look at the stunning condition of this old waggon!

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry71.jpg

Old KTM  :lol8:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry64.jpg

Old ambulance - Afrikaans: n Plus Bus

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry63.jpg

They were not very patient, seems when the 'dominee' wanted his fire he wanted it now!!  :eek:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry62.jpg

Harley Davidson saddles

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry59.jpg

Press - grape press to make some medicine  :p

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry58.jpg

Restored Venter trailer

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry57.jpg

Field ambulance still stained with blood of a fallen soldier....respect, I saluut you soldier

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry56.jpg

Figure this was the final ride to the earthly resting place

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry55.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry53.jpg

This was the factory for the mens pharmacy  :drif:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry52.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry43.jpg

I get a bad taste in my mouth only by looking at these instruments

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry42.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry41.jpg

'No I'm ok doctor, ceriously, I am just fine!  :eek: :eek:

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry40.jpg

Soen my beter tannie....

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry32.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry31.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry30.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry19.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry29.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry16.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry7.jpg

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry3.jpg

There was a lot more to see, really woth a visit if you are into South African History

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry28.jpg

The old Dutch Church Bible

ReinetHouse-DrAndrewMurry14.jpg

'New improved feet warmer'  :deal: Seems they were worried that the dominee will get cold feet and leave  :-\

Frome Here I decided to ride around town and go to the Valey of desolation :laughing4:

NOTE: Realy a lot more to see at the Reinet house, I was given permision to take photos but I don't want to post all - if you are interested rather ride there and visit all the other museums in town. This place is rich in history and I really loved the people as well, warm and welcome reception wherever you go

Valley of Desolation was my next stop and what excited me more was the idea of an 4x4 track! I really wanted to see what the Triumph is capable off :laughing4:

GraafReinetDam1.jpg

Graaf Reinet Dam, view from the cockpit

GraafReinetDam3.jpg

I love full dams and rivers but I still don't like deep water crossings  :xxbah:

GraafReinetDam4.jpg

I entered at the Valley of desolation park and rode all the way to the dam and town view point, stunning scenery!

GraafReinetfromviewpoint4.jpg

GraafReinetfromviewpoint3.jpg

GraafReinetfromviewpoint2.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation2.jpg

It seems that these places tend to attrackt like minded people. I made friends with an oke and his wife and the wife had to drag him into the bakkie to leave, why are we always in a hurry just to arrive at the other side and do nothing in partucular :patch:

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation2.jpg

ValeyofDesolation10.jpg

ValeyofDesolation9.jpg

ValeyofDesolation8.jpg

ValeyofDesolation7.jpg

ValeyofDesolation6.jpg

ValeyofDesolation5.jpg

ValeyofDesolation4.jpg

ValeyofDesolation3.jpg

ValeyofDesolation2.jpg

ValeyofDesolation1.jpg

There is a big information board with illistrations about the Ice age and reasons for this type of formations. Really nice to read through and to get the view of the geologists. However, I am a simple man and although I like to hear this information and facts I still just happy to live now and to see the beauty as it is now  :thumleft:

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation18.jpg

The 4x4 Trail!! Warning said grade 3-4...no idea what that meant

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation1.jpg

I was however in two minds wheather I should switch the TC off or not....always go with your first thought!!  :deal:

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation19-1.jpg

:eek7: This happened half an hour into the trail and on my way in I passed no othe vehicles. I had to pick my baby up and although it does not look steep on the photo it sure was a bit. Simple mistake, I came around the corner with the tiger purrrring in second gear and then when I opened up the TC kicked in as the back wheel was slipping and as result no power.....not too easy to pick her up all alone but Woody1 told me over the phone the squid tecnique which really makes it a lot easier! She had no damage other than a scratch on the crash bar and the dust cover in the back got a little scar which felf way bigger in my heart  :xxbah: but after cleaning back at the guest house that night I realised it was or is just nothing!

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation20-1.jpg

I had a lot of fun and the Triumph loved the gravel. I never felt intimidated. She actually feels quite small between the legs...the Triumph that is :dousing:

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation21-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation22-1.jpg

AroundGraafReinet1-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation18-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation17-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation16-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation15-1.jpg

Look at the pajama donkeys up ahead!  :)

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation13-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation12-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation11-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation10-1.jpg

O dear, I came accros these Dear  :imaposer:

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation9-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation8-1.jpg

The Triumph loves thes high speed humps  :laughing4: :laughing4: ......or was it bumps :peepwall:

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation7-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation6-1.jpg

4X4Trailvaleyofdesolation5-1.jpg

AroundGraafReinet3.jpg

The Triumph just loved these gravel Highways, wow she was planted and that quick steering helped a lot and she was very responsive to rider weight movement, I had so much fun!!  :thumleft: :laughing4:

AroundGraafReinet1.jpg

Look at the Photo above!! I have turned 2 x around to redo this section and wouldn't mind to go again!!!

Live is Good, we are blessed dear friends

The Afternoon run comes next - That will be the Neu Betesda leg of the trip.

Man oh man this was quite something....a bit 'deep'. I'll tell you tomorrow about it  :thumleft:

My magtag Tom, wat soek jy op die gruis! Daar is mos tonne manne wat se hy kannie!  :pot: :pot: :peepwall:

Sien uit na more.

Ek onthou nog daai oproep. Heel benoud geklink. Bly dit het gehelp. :thumleft:

I left the dirt roads of Graaf Reinet behind and Headed for Neu Bethesda.  This brought mixed feelings of both excitement and sort of anxiety’ (Yes I know that sounds strange and out of place)

Let’s walk back in history…

I was a very troubled young man, grew up in Brits but as far as my memory goes I can remember that I always wanted to see the world. My biggest birthday present as a child other than new shoes was a ‘Tin Tin’ book (Kuifie)

Age 12 I ran away from home the first time, I just had to get out and see the world. Age 14  I succeeded to run away for 3 weeks and I have done a tour through the Country ducking and diving the old South African police who was really good in finding missing children.
That’s how I got to Neu Bethesda, in an old truck that needed to deliver some stuff to the General dealer. I can remember he stopped as the town became visible in the valley and showed me the NG Church, the police station and told me that the police are still doing patrols on their ‘dukwiel bicycles’!

NeuBetesda20.jpg

As we entered the village I saw the owl house and asked the driver about it.

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse4.jpg

He told me the crazy old woman has died recently and the place is just left like that, unattended as rumor has that there is a ghost.  :eek:
The truck came to a standstill next to the general dealer

NeuBetesda8-1.jpg

, I hopped out and the driver bought me a coke (in a glass bottle – the ones before the buddy coke) He said I can walked around and need to be back at the truck in an hours’ time. So I started wondering around and saw the cast iron street names and could not believe this!

NeuBetesda9-1.jpg

It felt so unreal back then; it felt like a time long forgotten, like if I was walking with my old grandfather back in time. I walked all the way to the NG church;

NeuBetesdaNGChurch2.jpg

.. paused there and then walked straight passed the police station smiling within. I had this thing in my mind that they would not even notice I do not belong on the street as I can remember it was in school hours. I started to become a bit reckless and underestimated the integrity of the police of a small town. I walked all the way back to where we have entered town (those days over the low water bridge near the owl house) straight to the owl house. I was leaning against the fence, staring at each and every art effect for the rest of my ‘hour’. We left and I remember the driver asked me if I wanted to share his meat pie, he has not got enough money for two. I said no I’m ok but craved and remember my stomach burned and rumbled.

We drove all the way to Graaf Reinet where I found shelter under a bridge and stayed the remainder of the day and slept that night.
The next morning I woke up and felt tired, I was missing my parents and even school….I was missing a bed and a hot plate of food. I drank water from a stream till the hunger disappeared and decided to ignore the ‘afternoon play it safe hitch hiking’ and continued down the road. A police van came past and slowed down, I cept on walking. It made a u turn and then the seargant jumped out and in a true old South African way shouted at me; ‘where are you running bustard!’…….I replied: ‘Oom kan my maar vang maar gee my asseblief net kos’ (Uncle can catch me but please just feed me’. He grabbed me behind my neck, opened the back and pushed me inside in a very aggressive way, but then an Angle of an police woman (who was with him) said in a soft but firm voice: ‘dis net n kind, hy sit voor by my’ (it’s only a child, he will sit in front with me) It’s only then that I started to cry silently….maybe I was relieved that was the end of the yourney……

It came later out in a conversation that the Police has indeed sw me in Neu Bethesda and contacted the neighbour towns to be on the lookout for a young teenager on the run :-[

I got sent to a place of safety in Pta North afterwards where I continued my school year till I left for National duty in the old South African Defence force. My dad became my best friend years later. However, I just needed to go back to Neu Bethesda, not to curse the police  :) but to pick up something that might have dropped there.....I am not to sure if I got it though (30 years later)

I Will shorty follow up with a lot of photos of the owl house' and surroundings.....
:thumleft: :)

NeuBetesda3-1.jpg

Live goes on, and here I am riding back into memory lane on the back of my lovely Triumph :laughing4:

NeuBetesda1-1.jpg

NeuBetesda18.jpg

NeuBetesda17.jpg

NeuBetesda15.jpg

NeuBetesda14.jpg

NeuBetesda12-1.jpg

NeuBetesda10-1.jpg

NeuBetesda8-1.jpg

NeuBetesda4-1.jpg

NeuBetesda21.jpg

NeuBetesda20.jpg

NeuBetesda7-1.jpg

NeuBetesda11-1.jpg

NeuBetesda16.jpg

NeuBetesda6-1.jpg

NeuBetesdaNGChurch1.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse8.jpg

Lets go inside....

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse1.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse8.jpg

The welcome is not particularly warm :eek:

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse2.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse7.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse6.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse5.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse37.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse39.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse31.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse22.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse30.jpg

Glass was grinded and then glued to the ceiling and doors and walls to add color to her lonely live....sad history, divorced, had to look and care after het grumpy father which she reffered to as the lion and his room the lions den :eek:

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse40.jpg

She didn't need the fig so it was botteled ::)

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse41.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse42.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse27.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse38.jpg

Our Internet is giving some dificulties over here in Kenya, let me first post before I have to start all over again :deal:

MontaguPass13.jpg

I had an early morning beer and then filled the empty can with mountain water - its probably cleaner than the plastic water we all drink nowadays :-[

MontaguPass12.jpg

Stunning Train Bridge

[/quote]

I have some photos from about 18 years ago having breakfast under that bridge, My wife was on a Kawa GP 550, and I was on a Yamaha XT 600, with my 5 year old daugther on the back. brings back good feelings

BiganDraft I take you don't live anywhere near otherwise you sure would have been back?

Yes it is such a beautifull place, I really loved riding down there :thumleft:

Memories

This is my favourate picture taken in there.....

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse65.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse66.jpg

The Idea is to hold back in time....maybe  ???

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse75.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse15.jpg

aaaah

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse67.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse79.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse72.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse71.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse59.jpg

I love this picture as well

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse73.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse74.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse69.jpg

Eccentric woman she was

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse78.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse80.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse81.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse82.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse83.jpg

NeuBetesdaOwlhouse84.jpg

Wow.....art at its best (yes we all are unique, but this...a big yes!!)

I stay in Edenvale, but try to do a trip in that area at least once a year.
Did you have a beer at Sneeuberg Brewery... one of my favorite places