Advice on Shifting Gears with MX Boots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shutter_Eye

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hey everyone,

I own a pair of Thor Quadrant boots, they're fantastic - really tough and yet quite comfortable for longer rides. There's  one major drawback to them though - gear shifting... :xxbah:

Gearing down isn't a problem, but gearing up is a bloody nightmare sometimes. The boot is very high on the toe section, so it's difficult to get the boot under  the shifter. I've tried shifting using the edge of the boot where the seam runs, but the Thor boots are slightly convex along the side of the toe area, resulting in my foot sliding off the shifter instead of gripping it.

I struggle to gear up on all bikes, but some bikes such as the BMW 650 Sertao have a complete rubber shifter (there's no metal nib to hook the boot on). I quite literally can't ride the Sertao with my boots on.

My concern is that when I start taking my KLR offroad it'll turn into a real problem where quick shifting is essential.

Does anyone else have the same problem and how have you guys solved it? I really don't want to replace my boots (nor can I really afford to!), but it's starting to seem like the only solution... Advice will be most appreciated!