Advice on using a SDS Rotary Hammer Drill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karoo Rider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Morning all

I recently bought a Ryobi rotary hammer drill from a friend (R500 bargain!) in what appears to be a like-new condition.  Even thought it's for home/DIY use I generally like to maintain my tools to the best of my ability and would like to know two things:

1.  The manual isn't very clear on how much grease should be put into the reservoir on top (I believe it's the piston chamber?), only that it should be topped up after every 10 hours of use.  I opened it and it's got white grease on the inside but I don't know whether it's enough or not.  There is a small jar in the carry case with extra grease (still full).

2.  My second question is that I read various opinions on whether or not the back end (slotted area) of the SDS bits should be lightly greased or oiled when inserted.  Some argue that it causes more harm than good when dust enters the chuck area, others mention that certain types of grease will cause the chuck's rubber parts to "rot" over time, etc.

Any comments from those in the trade will be appreciated.

Regards
KR

Attachments

• 20190609_121135.jpg
    20190609_121135.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 92