Looking for a power drill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eberhard

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Moto Guzzi (all models)
I have seen discussions in this line in the past and did a bit of a search, but was not successful. Anyway, time has elapsed since those discussions and new products most likely have appeared on the market. So here goes:

I have a Bosch PSB 650 RE. I have had it for about 14 years and was quite happy with it. I never overworked it, using it for loose jobs around the house and general mucking around.  Then a mate borrowed it, did return it but it was never the same again. Big mistake. Now I want  / need to buy a new one. From what I have seen here is that there are a wealth of well informed opinions and experience on the forum.

My requirements are much what said Bosch has. I was happy with its abilities and performance.  I do not foresee that I shall use the drill for heavy duty work (unlike that mate of mine I suspect used it for, now ex-mate, lesson learnt).

I looked around a bit on the net and the following as example: a shop like Makro advertises a Ryobi 710W impact drill for R399 and a Makita 710W rotary hammer drill for R2 599. Clearly a massive difference in price.  Now I don’t want to over capitalise, neither do I want to go cheap and get bitten in the arse two weeks after the guarantee has lapsed.

The replacement drill must have a cord (cordless is no-no). The chuck must be keyed. Must have “speed-control”, reverse action and obviously the hammer function. I am partial to Bosch, having had a few of their products that worked. On the other hand a lot of stuff is now made in China so who knows.

Your valued opinions and suggestions please.