Alfie Cox Dirt Festival on 1190

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toors

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1050 Adventure
Off to the ACDF with my 1190 :ricky: - think I am really going to miss my 690 this weekend ::).  will give trip report next week....

Toors said:
Off to the ACDF with my 1190 :ricky: - think I am really going to miss my 690 this weekend ::).  will give trip report next week....

Depending on which routes you decide to take, you might wish you were on the 690.

But we went for a ride with Alfie over sections of the route a few weeks back and Alfie was on his 1190, so I'm sure you will be fine  :biggrin:

JonW said:
Toors said:
Off to the ACDF with my 1190 :ricky: - think I am really going to miss my 690 this weekend ::).  will give trip report next week....

Depending on which routes you decide to take, you might wish you were on the 690.

That is the difficult one... I am no Alfie Cox - would love to have half his skill - matching personal skill with bike's capabilities with a route which is challenging yet still fun (my fitness levels are way down  :-[)

Subscribed  :thumleft:

Looking forward to the report and pics

You not alone on the 1190 !! gona be fun

Carefull with those Rims . . . . Enjoy

I shared some notes on my "Expedition 1190" thread.  Was nice to meet / see the other 1190's out there, including the blue R with the orange cross. :thumleft:  Looking forward to all your thoughts.

OK,   I can say with certainty is that the 1190 crashes really well....  :eek:

Prepping for the trip - the Mitas E-09 being fitted by Just Bike tyre:

20130904_131222_zpsa224fa13.jpg

All loaded:

20130905_085715_zpsdcea64c0.jpg

As we know by now the 1190 handles incredibly on the tar and the trip down there was a breeze, even with the short screen.  The wear on the Mitas E-10 and E-09 was also quite good. (I did take some care in accelerating and braking gently)  The rear E-09 is a little square and this impacts cornering at high speed on tar just a little.  I had the front E-10 just a tad to soft and at a point when I had to brake hard, from about 180km/h, it snaked a little, but after inflating it to about 2.7 bars it was much better.

Sunset and sun downers at Sierra Ranch - the guys had quite a couple on Thursday night:

20130905_173020_zpsfc9c02cb.jpg

My regular riding mate CharlesS had some excuse about work and money being important so he only came down on Friday so I headed out with Dave (pillioning his wife Jude) from RAD.

20130906_083051_zpsb520c92b.jpg

Nice tree pic:

20130906_091943_zps43f83326.jpg

We soon hit the Red route:
Everything went well - (I did not enjoy the rocks though and had some deflections from bigger stationary ones) even at a 100hp you had to be super smooth on the throttle especially with plenty of "marbles" on hard pack and up hills - until we got to this spot:

20130906_094340_zps1cd185ed.jpg

This was quite a steep down hill (as always the photo gives it no justice) and just past where I took the pick there was a little donga in the middle of the road with off camber tracks on both sides - I run out of talent, going way to slow, and dropped the 1190 upside down on its head into the donga.  

The aftermath:  1 broken GPS bracket, 1 broken folding mirror and on broken front brake fluid reservoir (the break reservoir broke straight out of the mount leaving a big hole inside of it spilling 90% of my brake fluid - we manage to save enough brake fluid (with some duck tape) for me to do the rest of the ride.  This was a little freak drop so the damage is unusual, but if the 1190 had a 990 type aluminium bracket this damage would not have occurred. I blame it on a lack of skill though.... ::)

20130906_100732_zps5f203845.jpg

From there we headed out on predominantly the yellow route (by no means easy) and here the 1190 shined.  It was phenomenal on the single track.  It is extremely smooth, extremely well balanced and I had a fantastic time and just so much fun...  :biggrin:

20130906_091521_zpsab6f127f.jpg

20130906_091507_zpse3902790.jpg

20130906_114803_zps45835aea.jpg

20130906_122802_zpsf8ffa4a7.jpg

SGB fixing some punctures on the road:

20130906_111943_zps89e60467.jpg

I picked up a straggler (so Dave went ahead) who lost his mates and did not have a GPS so we got to the lunch spot a little late:

20130906_135543_zps3e382bc7.jpg

20130906_142739_zps6c11d9c0.jpg

20130906_135550_zps3ae2ea93.jpg

20130906_135554_zpsb418e27c.jpg

Running a little late I decided to take the Green route home consisting of fast flowing district roads with hard pack and pebbles on top.  I should have stick to the yellow route.   Going way to fast I hit a small hill on the road which was followed by a sharp turn in the road, off camber (off course) with a small bridge and the reason why bridges are there a river.  It became instantly apparent that I was not going to make the turn, so I instinctively put the bike down to slide and as I put it down I just caught my foot and this hyper flexed my knee to the side..... it was eina.  I went down hard...  OK here the thanks start thanks to Ricky for picking me up (and all the guys stopping to enquire) and as there was no cellphone reception calling the medics on his way back.

The crash spot:
20130906_160656_zps50153c7b.jpg

My company whilst I was waiting:
20130906_163634_zps8d247577.jpg

Bertus (thanks a million to him and Graham the ambulance driver) the first medic on site:
20130906_172803_zps98367c64.jpg

My ride home:
20130906_172811_zpscdbe9e77.jpg

As there was no more place on the trailer to trailer my bike home, Andrew who broken his Super Tenere but was still in one piece rode my bike back to Sierra Ranch (thanks to him as well)  As I arrived back I though sh!t this is going to cost me some rounds at the bar, just to be surprised by Bertus sticking a beer in my hands:  from Andrew he said, whom really enjoyed his test drive on the 1190... :eek: ;)   I think he just felt guilty because he was telling the ambulance personal all day that he hopes he gets to ride a 1190...  Thanks mate - all your fault....

Back to my original point - the 1190 crashes really well - from this crash the aftermath was only cosmetic damage to the crash bars and plastics and nothing serious...

So Saturday I was drive to the lunch spot by Jude and Margi and just had a rustige day out there:
20130907_142829_zps14f04a63.jpg

20130907_142800_zps92a32ab9.jpg

I have to say the ACDSF is well organised, I thought that the routes where well planned and huge fun and was a full and hard days riding.

Final thanks must go to Dave who trailered my bike back to JHB - straight to RAD for repairs of course and to Mark Roach from KTM SA who drove me back and dropped me off at my front door - Thanks a million guys - will definitely see you out there next year again :thumleft: - on the 1190...

I think for tech riding the gearing is to long and the 16 from sprocket that I put on was the correct decision, but as SGB says a 45 rear might be better.  The suspension was sublime maybe a little to hard for the big rocks (will chat to Hilton - I am sure we will be able to sort this out with one or two small mods)  I had no smileys but am still concerned about this,  so would most likely still go for the tubed tyres shortly as this will allow me to run lower pressures (I ran about 2.3 in the front and 2 in the rear)

....and guys the 1190 is a more capable off-road adventure bike than you might think.

:thumleft: Nice RR Toors, I stopped in at Notties Hotel to check out all the bikes and catch up with some of the guys riding.......next year I think I am going to have to join you guys at the ACDSF

Sorry you scratched your baby.. hope you are not too stiff at the moment...
Really glad you enjoyed though... Just a question... I thought you were going to do GREEN routes only?

Nice report.. :thumleft:

Not sure I agree with "so would most likely still go for the tubed tyres shortly as this will allow me to run lower pressures"...

Hats off,I would still be sulking and having post mortims  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Malibu said:
Really glad you enjoyed though... Just a question... I thought you were going to do GREEN routes only?

Ha-ha green route was never an option,  always intended doing the yellow route but because CharlesS was not there my rubber arm (on a mild suggestion only) was twisted to do the red route - there was also a blue route.  Remember I had the proper crash on the green route.

The physio is of opinion that I tore the cross ligaments in my knee - so of the see the knee surgeon sometime this week and to get a MRI - If this is the case an opp and 6 months of rehab is seemingly in my near future  :'( ::)

Toors said:
Malibu said:

Ha-ha green route was never an option,  always intended doing the yellow route but because CharlesS was not there my rubber arm (on a mild suggestion only) was twisted to do the red route - there was also a blue route.  Remember I had the proper crash on the green route.

The physio is of opinion that I tore the cross ligaments in my knee - so of the see the knee surgeon sometime this week and to get a MRI - If this is the case an opp and 6 months of rehab is seemingly in my near future  :'( ::)

bummer man  :-\

One quick point about green routes vs. technical routes. Most injuries come from gravel roads on these sorts of events, as happened to you. Mike Glover who does the rallye raid has progressively made the routes more technical due to this very fact.  :thumleft:

another thing is that these events always turn out to be expensive, not just entry fee, but tires, fuel and the inevitable damage to the bike, and perhaps even doctors bills in some cases  ;D

Nice rr thanks Toors.
Eina! Bud hope your injury isn't to bad and you not booked of for too long.
I'm still recovering from the Dp1 weekend. And going nuts not riding.