An XR400R... and a happy ending

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francois.viljoen

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
A month ago I posted a very sad story about how I managed to write off my XR400R by playing chicken with a taxi.

Here's the post in case you haven't seen it yet: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=66237
(WARNING: Contains nasty pictures and desperately emotional language).

The good news is this sad story has a happy ending!!

The XR400R:

I love this bike. As in true love.

I mean, I really like my KTM, in the same way I really like fast cars, Bruce Willis movies and my granma's Malva pudding.

But the XR is different. I love my XR.

Needless to say I was not feeling happy about what happened to her in the accident. But then I met Mike Fuchs...

I collected her from Mike's place (his forum name is superfoxi) on Thursday evening all neat and sparkly, newly fitted with WP 43mm forks and Brembo front-brake conversion, Vapor speedo, Magura EX handle bars and a few other heartwarming bits and pieces, like the custom built aluminium brackets he machined to fit the original headlight and those big ugly Shrek-ear flickers that I love so much. (see the pics below)

Superfoxi you're a legend.

It is rare to see someone taking as much pride in their work as you do. You really went out of your way.

The total cost for the conversion and all the work was also very reasonable. It came in at about R400 more than my insurance payout.

I'm smiling from ear-to-ear.

Me:

The sprained wrists, bruises, ligaments and other injuries have just about healed completely.

I started training again seriously beginning of March. At the moment I'm doing pretty much the same reps, times and distances and lifting the same amounts as I did before the accident.

I rode again for the first time two weeks ago.

It took all of 15 seconds to forget about being careful and taking it easy and all that other shit I promised myself and everyone else I would do.

Confidence and fitness is still lagging, but I should be back in form within a month.

The moral of the story:

If you want a free WP suspension upgrade for your XR400R, all you have to do is make a head-on collision with a taxi and then take your bike to superfoxi.

Attachments

• DSC01757.JPG
    DSC01757.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC01758.JPG
    DSC01758.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC01762.JPG
    DSC01762.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC01767.JPG
    DSC01767.JPG