Another valuable lesson learnt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Following on from Beemer Mans "Valuable lessons learnt" I have a little lesson learnt last Saturday morning en-route to Groot Marico: first thing starting out we stopped at the local petrol station for a fill up and tyre pressure check etc... The bike was on the side stand (yes first recommendation is to place it on the centre stand) but my reasoning was that the tank was almost full already and therefore I only needed to pump up the tyres for the extra weight of the luggage.

So the valve on the front wheel was not where it needed to be, its always in a place you can't get to when you stop, and I was on the right hand side of bike and only had to roll it forward about half a meter. Nothing to it just roll it forward, which I did from the right hand side and leaned it back onto the side stand on the other side. Easy! but not recommended - heres why: as I rolled it forward the side stand was pushed up and yes, when I leaned it back over it just kept on going over!!!! You know what its like trying to pull a 1200 back when you on the wrong side and how funny it looks - Misty was very good at concealing her laughter but I wondered why she stayed behind the petrol pump for so long and at the same time was grabbing for her camera! But she didn't get a pic - you know how fast you can pick up a bike in public so as to minimise the looks (and laughs) and possible pics!

Now the bike hit against a pole on the way over and that took the mirror clean off at the bottom of the stalk. The piece broke off in the socket it screws into - so now I'm minus a mirror and have to drill out the piece inside the thread.

Could have saved the whole thing if, firstly the bike was on the centre stand, or at least in the second place I had rolled it forward from the left hand side...